London Boat Show Review

Andy

I went to the London Boat Show with my son yesterday. I was there shortly after 10:00 a.m. and was surprised at how many people were already there. It just got busier from there. A couple nice tackle displays. Angling Outfitters, Tightlines, and J. B.'s had nicest, biggest booths, at least that's what I thought. Decent deals on reels. I'm a Shimano/Abu guy, but some of those Quantums are beautiful. Unfortunately ( or fortunately?) J.B.'s didn't have the Quantum Cabo I spotted in the left handed retrieve, or I'd likely be looking for a rod for it by now. Or should I save up for an Abu Revo Toro? These are the burning issues in my life. (Life is great!)

Most places had the ol' "buy 3 or 4 and get one free" lure thing on the go. So I got five new baits, already sharpened and placed in their proper spots.

Lots of boats, but I didn't look at them much , as I got a bigger boat last year that should do me for a long time. I have no idea what prices were like at the show for boats. I was easily able to resist the Sham Wow pitch, although the guy pitching 'em was good. There were quite a few lodges/camps with booths, and I picked up a few flyers, but I didn't spend too much time with them.

A nice gentleman handed us a free entrance pass on the way in and helped us save $10.00. If you are a member of the board, thanks! I'll pay it forward.

I met Mr. Eh and his pal at J.B.'s, and it was a pleasure to meet him. Lots of friendly folks.

I took my son to Tony's Pizza just down the street on Dundas after we left and introduced him to their amazing panzarotti, he hadn't had it before. I love that spot. We met a couple other friendly fellows from the show there as well.

Andy

Edited by Andy

Those fishing shows are an excellent way to spend a cold winters day and it sounds like you and your son really enjoyed yourselves there.

Also good to hear you met up with Mr. Eh, he's one of the finest dudes you'll ever have the pleasure of knowing or sharing a fishing boat with.

Great recap of the show.

we went yesterday, from what I saw there was good deals on fishing gear. I got to the refurbished trolling motors a little late most had sold signs on them. As far as new boat prices which I'm a bit up to date on since I just bought a boat a couple of weeks ago and spent a couple of months shopping for it before that. The boat prices looked good but most packages but included a motor that was too small for the boat in my opinion and by the time you upgrade the motor to what the boat should have the price ended up way higher than you would expect, seems like straying away from the factory package costs big $money$. I think I was better off buying the boat, trailer separately and equipping it with a motor of my choice.

I was there yesterday, great show!

Angling Outfitters had some great deals on everything and had the busiest booth,

others were trying to match his prices, funny the same people wouldn't give you those discounts at the spring fishing/boat show last weekend,

Competition is good :thumbsup_anim:

I look forward to this show every year and once again, it didn't disappoint.

We met for breakfast at "The Big City Diner"; my daughters and I were accompanied buy MrEh, Deg & Ruth. ChrisK & Carole had to cancel because Chris wrenched his back at work the night before but I don't feel sorry for him as he spent the day in the hot tub! Breakfast was great, nothing like starting your day off with steak and eggs!

We arrived at the show around 10:15 (opened at 10) and it was really busy but no trouble parking. The first thing on my shopping list was clip-on polerized lenses. I lost mine while netting a 48" muskie on Labour Day and was able to find two pairs for $35 at the second both we came to. I know they can be had cheaper online but it was nice to browse such a wide selection and ensure a perfect fit.

We then browsed some of the 20 or so resorts and outfitters located close together in the first building. There are more scattered throughout the show but mostly grouped together.

Now it's tackle time. First on the list was Angling Outfitters with a huge booth. They were in thier regular spot occupying most of the back wall of the first building and it was very busy. Jos has company rep's, charter captains and volunteers manning his booth while he runs around like waterbug giving out deals. That guy has more energy than HydroOne.

After leaving the main building you enter the link building where Free Time Sports (Woodstock), JB's and Tightlines are located. I was sad to see that Wally's from Windsor was missing this year. In years past they had some of the better tackle deals.

As the other poster mentioned, most of the bargains were 2 for, 3 for, 4 for type deals.

From the "Link", you enter the "Canada" building, the first of three jammed with boats. Second on my list of priorities was getting my boaters card. BoatSmart had two displays in the show offering testing. Price was $60 but if you said "What? $60!" then they would quickly whip out a $10 OFF discount card and offer it to you. I wrote the 36 question test in less time than it took to mark it. What a joke.

We didn't spend much time looking at boats because Don and Mike just bought boats last year and I don't have any money! What did catch out attention was a glass sloop style boat made in Newfoundland and Admiral boats made here in London. Very unique in thier own ways.

By this time the snow was beginning to fly around 1PM. Don and Ruth wanted to get out and run ahead of the storm. Mike and I made our way back to the first building and ran into Kelvin on the way for a quick chat.

After Mike and I parted ways, we went to Jay's Fly Shop. Jay was having an open house in lieu of a booth at the show. Offering coffee/timbits and most importantly, discounts. Jay emailed me a few days prior to let me know he had some hand picked bucktails set aside. This was a good opportunity to bring my daughters to have a look at some of the really cool flies on display. I also grossed them out with the bunny mask and the fox mask. Hehehe scarred for life!

What a great day!

-Brian

Well I just got back from the London show....It was pretty good although by back was killing me the whole time I was gimping around...I had one issue reguarding this show and that was...................There was no beer !!!! Thats right they were just serving pop and hambergergers at the food concession.... :(