Large and Smallmouth Bass at No Frills

PatrickGG

I shop at No Frills located at Lansdowne and Dundas "Formly used to be Knob Hill Farms Back in the day"

and was shocked for i never seen Bass being sold at a Supermarket, My question is this?? Is this not Illegal

since Bass season is closed? I am stumped i never seen this before i seen filleted Walleye for sale at Loblaws

but never have i seen Largemouth and Smallies..

Here are some pics i took with a cell phone:

Largemouth hiding in the corner of the tank, and a Smallie just underneath the carp fin:

20-02-09_1941.jpg

Dead Largemouth:

20-02-09_1942.jpg

Smallies in the herd of fish in the back center of the pic:

20-02-09_1943.jpg

Edited by PatrickGG

To my understanding that would be illegal anytime of the year, as I believe it is illegal to sell any gamefish commercially in Ontario, that's what a fishmonger told me when I asked if they sell lake trout...

Edited by Bass Killer

Probably farm raised fish. Assuming that the supplier is properly licenced, it is perfectly legal.

Were the fish all of similar size? If so, that would indicate that they are farm raised fish.

There are commercial fisheries operating on Lake Erie and Georgian Bay. There are also fish farms in Ontario. It is perfectly legal for game fish harvested by licensed commercial fishermen or farm raised fish to be sold in Ontario.

ive seen walleye and pike at fortonos. only once did u see the pike there, but walleye is always there... however, 12.99 per lb is too rich for me when i can catch it for free. but never in my life have i seen bass, what were they in the tank with?? may have been mistakenly put in there, but either way call the MNR and let them know and show them the pictures.

Game fish have been commercially sold in the past. Pike from Manitoba is the most obvious. It wasn't taken in provincial waters and you have a receipt.

Seeing as the LM was in a tank of live hybrid stripers or white bass, it is probable they are farm raised and not product of ontario waters..

I do recall 20 years back a fishmonger in Kensington getting pinched for selling bass

Sometimes i go to the same store Patrick and always felt there was something 'fishy' going on there.

They did change the fish department distributor a bit ago, not for the better.

I will never buy fish there and never have.

Seems like less carp in the tank there these days.

Decided to check this out myself since this store is a 5 minute drive and a few groceries were needed.

IMG_0002-7.jpg

IMG_0001-9.jpg

The largies were advertised as 'Green Bass' at 8.99 lb.

There was thousands of people already there and vrobably more to go, must be farmed fish or from U.S.

My gut feeling was it was somehow legal.

Those bass are most likely from a fish farm. They hardly ever vary in size, always between 1-2lbs.

You see them in almost every Chinese supermarkets and restaurants in the GTA. If you don't believe me,

go check it out yourself. I asked a guy at the counter once and he told me they were all from some fish farm down in the states. If you think about it, where would they get so many bass in the middle of winter and all in the same size slot???

Seeing that bugs the crap out me. I have no clue if it's illegal but in my opinion it's wrong to be selling them in a grocery store.

Why does it bug you so much? Doesn't seem any different to me than selling any other type of 'live' fish. As long as everything is on the up and up and the fish are sourced legally, I don't see the problem. A fish is a fish is a fish...

Obviously many people eat bass, why should those who for various reasons can't get out and catch their own be denied.