Simcoe Perchin

Headhunter

In reading a number of the threads about perchin on Simcoe, I've noticed that many folks use live bait, specifically minnows. I've hardly ever used live bait, including minnows when I do get a chance to get out. Given the challenges we are now facing with minnows (buffer zone) and the price they are asking for minnows, I'm just wondering if anyone is considering going completely artificial this year?

I've found that a jiggin Rap, tipped with power maggots/grubs works as well or better than minnows on most days, not to mention the PITA it can be transporting, re-hooking etc... that minnows can be.

Any thoughts?

HH

Guest gbfisher

I don't use live bait for Perch,whitefish or Lakers on Simcoe. You just don't need it.

Minnows can be transported where ever YOU want. It is the harvesters who can't transport them around. It is your conscience that SHOULD stop you from doing it as well. There is NO LAW against it though.

Guest mistyriver1

HH, although we didn't have a lot of success this past weekend, the jiggin raps caught more fish than the minnows. Next time, I may not even bother buying minnows, saves the hands from getting cold as well.

I don't use live bait for Perch,whitefish or Lakers on Simcoe. You just don't need it.

I agree with not needing minnows for Perch, but I think it is a good idea to have one line set on your second rod/tip-up with a minnow near bottom for Lakers and Whitefish while you jig with a spoon or other artifical.

With Perch, hopefully the action is steady enough that you are able to only use 1 rod.

Jigging raps, Williams ice jigs and soft plastics work wonders for Perch.

I think live bait is tough to beat. Sure, if you're an experienced ice fisherman you might master some kind of jigging technique but even then you've only going to be working one rod. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I think an artificial keeps you more focussed on what you're doing and minnows let you sit back a little more. I guess both have their advantages.

I should have mentioned that when I'm perchin, I'm a run and gun kinda guy. Draggin minnows and all that they entail, around with me is just way too much work, not to mention the cold hands, freezing bait bucket etc... . ALso, feeding perch minnows simply gets on my nerves after a while. Sitting and waiting for a school to come to me, is something I wouldn't do in open water, why would I do it on ice?

It's been my experience, that if the perch are there, they'll hit an artificial. Obviously, if they aren't they won't. That's why I ususally keep moving and drilling. Once a hole goes dry, I either drill a new one, or back track to my earlier holes, in case the school has moved there. A hole only get's about 30 seconds of my time, if it's not producing.

HH

If you are going to be fishing in Cook's Bay you can get minnows on the ice at the end of Gilford Road. Look for a green & white shack that says "BAIT" on the side. A guy named Peter sells them for $4 a scoop (approx 48 minnows).