Ripped again...When will i learn?

raysfish2005

Well lets just say after a comedy of errors on sunday morning i head up the 400 to get some perch from lake simcoe, I realize i dont have my liecence so i have a decision to make.....Take a chance on not getting caught or stop into the 400 rip off barn for a fishing liecence, Well i stop for a coffee and decied to head over, as i pull up i see the sign minnows $4.99, i tap myself in the head and say only buy a lic or you'll get taken!!!!.....Well i need minnows and it would save some time so i get the lic and say... a bag of those $4.99 minnows please( knowing full well i should not even open my mouth)

the fellow says 24 for the lic, and i pay him then a kid brings up a bag of minnows, I look at the bag and do a quick head count.....mmmmmmmm....19..........i ask the kids how many is in a scoop he replies 48-60...........i hold my tounge.

then i hear the magic words..... that will be $7.99............I look at the guy behind the counter and ask how the heck did he come up with that price when the sign says 4.99.........1.00 for air, dollar for the bag and a dollar for the box............lol i laugh.......yep ripped again and i will pay you 10.00 for my stupidity.

I make this mistake everyother year............when will i learn!!!

Dammit Man!!!

When are you going to learn to carry your license with you! :w00t:

That sure does make me appreciate our .99 a dozen Shiners and Tuffies down here! No Bag, No Air, and No Box! .99 a dozen!... and it's not just 12 to a dozen either, I haven't ever really counted them but it's more like a dozen and a half... and when I got my 4 dozen last Saturday, the nice lady told me a few of them didn't look like they were swimmin too good so she put me a couple dozen extra in there. I didn't think much about it. When I got to the lake and looked in the bucket... there must've been close to 200 Shiners in there, with about 6 swimmin on their sides... and if'n she wasn't married... and I wasn't married... I'd be gettin' my Shiners for half price! ;););)

When I got to the lake and looked in the bucket... there must've been close to 200 Shiners in there, with about 6 swimmin on their sides... and if'n she wasn't married... and I wasn't married... I'd be gettin' my Shiners for half price! ;););)

No Glen you be paying double :lol:

The old bait and switch trick

Whopper

.99 cents a bakers dozen heck that is already 1/3 price. The few places we have shiners they are 3 and 4 dollars for the small. I havent bought minnows in I bet 10 years if they aint in the creek to net I go with somethin else. All this time I had been thinkin that you was a millionaire using 6 minnows at a time. I still love the fishin reports though so I will slip you a few bucks at lak air just to keep you fishin.

Art

Guest mistyriver1

Ray, not sure where you go out to ice fish on Simcoe but if you head out of Gilford, get your minnows at Gilford Bait and Tackle...only $3.50 for a scoop and I'm sure we got at least 25-30 minnows for that. Not sure if they have licenses or not...I ended up giving the leftover minnows to Peter at Ice Cabins when we came in. Also, as we came in (this was on Sunday) a CO was there checking licences, it was good to see :)

Well to me,thats a strike against helping the little guy. You want loyal customers,then you dont screw with them like that.

One price and no surprizes.

Another thing,these boxes they give out,we find them all over up here on the shore and the ice. STOP GIVING OUT THE BOXES.

Sounds like maybe a bitta misleading advertising. Sorry you got dinged.

I stopped by there a few weeks ago and on the advice of a friend, inquired about the Helly Hanson one-piece float suit that many here recommend, and got it (XXL) for $262.19 taxes in, and there was probably also a small jiggin rap included in the VISA. I think I got a deal.

The folks running it do have to pay overhead compared to Pete on the lake....unless gov't has figured a way to charge him rent on his floating store. :lol:

Maybe you coulda saved some money by just getting a one-day fishing licence. $10.. according to the MNR Regs booklet. That way you get to keep the limits of the regular licence, but don't get hit so hard when you forget your licence. Unless the guy there doesn't have the one-day licence. Did you try that angle?

I didn't buy much besides the floatcoat, but that store sure does have Simcoe-specific tackle. There also was a coupla dudes who seemed like pals of the guy running it who offered some good advice on where to go and what to use for the whities. Too rough to fish there, but a laker broke surface beside us as we checked out the spot.

I buy minnows and just have em put into my pail, so I don't get hammered re the air/bag/box thing.

In winter the minnows use less oxygen so as long as you keep em cold and are gonna use em within a coupla hours I think they'd be good to go. I toss some snow in during the day so when it disolves it gives off oxygen. Just be using a scoop to nab minnows you aerate the water. A cheap styrofoam cooler does a great job keeping the water from freezing on cold days.

Like you, I consider the joint to be a "convenience store" Getting stuff there is insurance against not finding the stuff lakeside. Especially the licence bit since I don't know if Pete sells em. I like stopping in there to get the fishing lowdown and by getting minnows there it makes for a less stressfull trip having all the stuff I need before getting to the Zoo.... I mean the lake!

LOL Terry

thats a good question, i dont think 19 minnows are going to do any dammage and since i only used 10 and lost 0, seven minnows left on the ice for the seagulls and 3 give'n to some dinky perch, as i see it the ban is on commercial sellers anything over 120 minnows,I dont like to move minnows to far as i drive way to fast and most of the minnows are stuck to the back side of the box crushed from gravity.

Misty... I fish Gilford as well and get my minnows from the same store, but i was trying to save time and you know what the parking is like there.

Cisco.. Glad you managed to get a deal off the guy......But i would test it first..........lol

Have a good one.........oh did i mention i was in such a hurry i forgot my warm cloths and lunch......yep -15 and i had on a short sleeve shirt and my coat, just me and a bucked, one box of minnows and two rods....yep i had fun ;)

I found the answer myself his baitshop is within the buffer zone so he can sell bait that was trapped in the buffer zone or from northern ontario, but minnows caught in the buffer zone can not be transported out of the buffer zone..........in the infected zone they are not allowed to trap any bait fish..if I read it right