Help me pick a rod

kennyman

Thanks for the help everyone :thumbsup_anim: . I guess at the show I'll grab a 7' graphite rod rated for 8 to 15lb test with a fast action. I'll be checking the Fenwick, Shimano, Berkely,St. Croix and Quantums I guess. Hopefully I'll get a good deal on one. I'll let you know in a couple weeks which one I bought. I really did look in the classifieds here as well,but by the time I drive all the way somewhere for just a rod,how much did I really save. Not only that,but at the show I can really compare them and get a good deal. P.S. should I get hung up on the IM6,IM7 & IM8 ratings?

....Well I'll chime in here with my opinion. I'd suggest a 7' graphite rod rated for 8 to 15lb test with a fast action. That would cover all the needs you've mentioned. If you can transport and safely store a one piece, go for it. Quality does cost more and generally comes with a warranty, that's a plus in my eyes. Ugly sticks are crap and not worth the investment unless you have a habit of breaking rods on a consistant basis. Stick with the tried and true names, Fenwick, Shimano, Berkely or St. Croix are some options available.

Follow Spiels advice CLOSELY! he knows what he speaks... and he is indeed correct... I have quite a few "junk" rods... including the Ugly Stick" and they are just that....Capital J "unk" once you hold a rod that is designed for a specific purpose you will understand what I mean.. They better the rod IMHO the better the quality of build and the warranty to back it up.

Just my 0.02 cents

Gerritt.