Help me pick a rod

kennyman

Okay,here's the deal. I'll be going to the Spring Fishing Show in a couple weeks (on the 18th) and I'll be looking to buy a decent spinning rod. It'll be a 6'6 or 7' (leaning towards 7') spinning rod and probably a med, so it'll be versatile for me. I'll probably spend $70-$100 on the rod (I'm on a budget here,hoping for a deal at the show) and am matching it with a Shimano Sahara 2500FB that I have already(actually I'm playing with it right now). I'll probably be mostly bass fishing,but I'd like to catch some Wallys and even pike on this rod. I realize that is a tall order for a "budget rod" or any rod for that matter but I want this to be my "go to" rod and reel. So what would be your pick?HAve you got someting similar? What do you think of yours? Thanks.

I have two shimano rods i picked up from bps, one is 7 ft and one is 6 1/2. medium heavy and have used them for bass and pike. great rods and were between 60 and 75 dollars each. cant remember the model name of them, but i will check and pm you.

bbnotty

Yea I agree with fish finder. Buy 2 rods at a cheaper price. For example Ugly stick at Walmarts $39, most durable and versitile rod for the Bush and Trolling etc. get a cheap more sensitive rod as a second choice. Check out Berkley or ABU. My favorite rod is an $18 Eagle Claw. I have tested many of a rod tip at a store and I have broken a few and trust me PRICE HAS NO BEARING ON QUALITY AND DURABILITY. I have seen some expensive cheaply made rods that have broken just by casting. Personally I think shimano sucks for rods. But awesome reels though expensive.

Holdfast and Fishfinder. I have an Ugly stick lite medium spinning combo already. I used that fishing all last year. I also have an ultra light setup from Shakespeare (10 bearing reel) which should serve me fine at the Orillia perch derby. I also have an old Shimano Bass One baitcaster that I'm going to try to play with and hopefully learn that art with. I'll probably get a cheaper MH rod for that and use it for heavier baits (should get less tangled up with the bigger stuff). I was kind of trying to have one setup that I would use most of the time that I would really enjoy using. I plan on having that rod in my hand (insert joke of choice here) alot this year. I have to admit an $18 rod that is your favotite is a great thing (what rod (model)is that by the way?).Now you say and I quote " PRICE HAS NO BEARING ON QUALITY AND DURABILITY". How can that be?I'm not contradicting you,I'm asking. I really do understand that it's completely possible for a reel to "feel fantastic" and be more reasonably priced. But I would logically think that durability should be affected by the cost. For example,how can a manufacturer afford to put titanium guides on an $18 rod? Wouldn't they stand up better to braided lines?I understand that price is never a guarantee and I'm sure some rods are really overhyped and overpriced,but spending a few extra $$$ should get you something,shouldn't it? I'm obviously not going to get a top of the line rod for the money I'm putting out, but I'd like to get the best one I can for the money and not just get a "fancy sticker". I was hoping for a $70-$100 that keeps up with or is close to "the big boys". Mark Kulik, what St.Croix would you suggest? Thankyou everyone for your replies. Keep'em coming. This is great.

Heres the scoop Kenny. I love fishing. I have enough rods and reels to outfit an Army. My wife calls me a collecter because my favorite (most expensive)(and spooled) reels never seen action. I guess Im addicted. But heres the scoop I caught my biggest laker by hand line with a jig under the ice. The biggest Musky 24 lbs with an older Bait caster ambassador reel using a live perch. And a 6 lb Pickeral using a live minnow, and the reel which is a newer Mitchell 300 reel that Wallmarts he is trying to sell for $24

Quantum rods, Daiwa spinning reels, abu baitcasters. Nuff. These are the best values around. Pick your price point and your style, and go for it.

As for a specific choice, pick a med spinning rod at 7' like the Quantum Pro Tour 704 or 705. The rod is very light with a fast tip and lots of back. It is also very sensitive and my favourite (704). It handles planerboards, bass spinnerbaits, casting heavy spoons, and also has twitched a few walleye on jigs. If I had only one rod, that would be it.

Heres the scoop Kenny. I love fishing. I have enough rods and reels to outfit an Army. My wife calls me a collecter because my favorite (most expensive)(and spooled) reels never seen action. I guess Im addicted. But heres the scoop I caught my biggest laker by hand line with a jig under the ice. The biggest Musky 24 lbs with an older Bait caster ambassador reel using a live perch. And a 6 lb Pickeral using a live minnow, and the reel which is a newer Mitchell 300 reel that Wallmarts he is trying to sell for $24

Can you really use a live perch for bait :dunno: , I thought that was illegal :dunno: . I mean i thought you can't use a perch, I think I read it in the regulations.

I have seen lots of rods for 60 or 70 bucks with titanium guides. As an example look at the Shakespeare Agility line. You should be able to pick one up for under 60 with tax during the show.....

Getting two rods is probably the best idea as mentioned though it is very tough to get an all around rod that you are totally happy with. However if they still made the Shimano Bull Whip Fighting Rod you would be set. By far that is the best all around rod I have ever seen.

I'm a fan of the st. croix line. You may be able to get a 7' Med or MH at your price point. You will definately be able to get a St. Croix Triumph. The triumph line is new last year I believe. Assembled offshore for cheaper price.

....Well I'll chime in here with my opinion. I'd suggest a 7' graphite rod rated for 8 to 15lb test with a fast action. That would cover all the needs you've mentioned. If you can transport and safely store a one piece, go for it. Quality does cost more and generally comes with a warranty, that's a plus in my eyes. Ugly sticks are crap and not worth the investment unless you have a habit of breaking rods on a consistant basis. Stick with the tried and true names, Fenwick, Shimano, Berkely or St. Croix are some options available.

Look around, there are deals to be had. JB's has boxes full of decent rods for pretty good prices. Your best bet would be to buy yourself 2 rods for around $100 as opposed to just one. That way, you can have 1 that's a medium action and one that's a medium/heavy or heavy action to haul out the big pike and big bass outta the weeds.