Gear Ratios for Reels

Golfisher

Gentlemen (& ladies),

I am thinking of getting another baitcast reel to compliment my existing, rather pathetic one-reel-for-everything arsenal. I have a Curado 100D, and I'd like to get another Curado given its performance so far. My question is which gear ratio I should choose. The one I have is 6.2:1, and the available options are 5:1 (DVP) and 7:1 (DHSV). I do mostly bass and pike fishing, throwing plugs and top-water lures (not good at plastics at all, though I'd like to learn the art at some point). Any suggestions, opinions, or ideas?

Goes to show how clueless I still am about fishing.

Thanks & cheers,

the lower the ratio, the more the power but the slower the retrieve

I use the rod most times bass fishing to bring the lure in and use the reel to take up the slack, so for me the higher ratios is the way to go

but for trolling for muskie or pike a lower ratio might be the way to go

Personally I always go for the higher ratios ... for me its easier (and more important) to do a speedy retrieve ... as for power... my approach to fighting the big girls may be a little different (as a steelheader who normally has line much lighter than the fish I am fighting) ... but I almost NEVER use the crank for power ... I use the rod (flex) to manage the fish ... the handle is for ensuring that the line is always kept taught ... the rod is used to advance the fish to the boat/shore ... and when the fish is running (the drag does the work there) ... I never turn the handle ... in fact I normally dont have a hand on the handle except when there is line to be retrieved... and if a big fish is swimming towards you it is even more important to be able to 'keep up' with her ...

Of course the 'pin' float or flyreel approach for steelheading will debunk my ratio argument ... but the rod still does most if not all of the work