Anybody hitting Georgian Bay this weekend

irishfield

Hopefully we get lucky and it totally melts down. It's about a foot deep out there... everywhere right out past the watchers. Rain tomorrow and 7. Rain next Tues/Wed/Thurs... we can only hope !

So slushy I didn't even touch down on it.. although I would have loved to out by Thunder beach to get a better picture of an animal on the ice I was circling around. Darn thing looked viscious like a wolverine with a big bushy tail. Don't know if it was a huge Fisher or what it was.

Best I could get at 55/60 MPH from 20 feet off the ice.. one handed.. thru the window!

Edited by irishfield

Lots of big fishers around.

I work up there too.

Brought the Fishers in to eat Turkeys????

They don't eat Turkeys apparently.

They do eat dogs and cats though.

Yep... some folks over Maureens way by Awenda PPark hunt fishers because they been attacking their dogs.

Pretty sure that's what it was ... but never seen one with such a bushy tail or so big. Had huge fore paws. I could see the points of the paws from the air.

Do you have any more pics of that critter Wayne??

I think its a cougar :lol:

LOL... was the best shot I got. Couldn't see my screen with sunglasses on and was just pointing and shooting... and trying not to stick it thru the ice at the same time! :w00t:

I think fishers were brought in to get the porcupines. I'm positive it wasn't for turkeys. Thats about the only positive re introduction the MNR has had.......LOL.

Sinker

the fishers are incredibly smart and do an amazing and unique job on the porc epic they run them to the tips of branch until they fall off and become "unconsious" for a few moments and the fisher jumps down and eats them from the belly so they dont get quills in them, its pretty neat to see first hand from a deer stand.

I think fishers were brought in to get the porcupines. I'm positive it wasn't for turkeys. Thats about the only positive re introduction the MNR has had.......LOL.

Sinker

I heard for porcupines as well but also heard for turkeys.

The Fishers are getting way too big up there. I think it was a Fisher as well. I have seen wolves and deer out in that same spot as well. The Wye Marsh is very nervous about school groups and kids in the park. They are really worried one or more of the fishers is going to attack a child. They don't hibernate and the amount of food in the winter in not as plentiful as in the summer.

Edited by Cudz

I really don't think fishers were introduced to take care of turkeys. Why would OMNR bring in a critter, to kill off an animal they just successfully re introduced?? Doesn't make sense........

We have a few fishers around the forest I work at, but not enough to be worried about yet. I've never seen one, but I see lots of tracks around. Also see lots of porcupine tracks too......

I was thinking badger, but man, thats one big badger.

Sinker

I really don't think fishers were introduced to take care of turkeys. Why would OMNR bring in a critter, to kill off an animal they just successfully re introduced?? Doesn't make sense........

We have a few fishers around the forest I work at, but not enough to be worried about yet. I've never seen one, but I see lots of tracks around. Also see lots of porcupine tracks too......

I was thinking badger, but man, thats one big badger.

Sinker

Well I am not going to get into an argument about why or why not. Here is what I have been told. THe wild turkey population surrounding Penetang and Midland has exploded over the past 7 or 8 years (i regularly see about 30 + each day driving to work). The fisher has always been native to the area but their numbers were low. The Fisher was introduced to reduce the number of procupines and turkeys in the area. The turkeys have recently caused several motorcycle accidents in the area. I know it sounds a bit odd but that is the story I have been told twice now.

The fishers in the area have grown very large and have been regularly eating domestic cats and dogs on a regular basis. I did some research and it is true that the fisher will eat turkeys (Coyotes, foxes and fishers are the main enemies of the adults. ), but what I have heard is that they are choosing to eat other things in the area (dogs/cats) instead. Apparently the domestic animals are easier prey.

Am I sure about this story? No. Neither of my sources work for the MNR so take it for what it is worth.

Edited by Cudz

I'm not arguing. I'm just sayin it doesn't make sense, that's all. You get worked up pretty easy man, you should take er easy!!! Geeze.........its just a discussion!!

Sinker

not worked up at all. RHR is 55 bpm right now. Maybe it just came across that way. sorry

If I was worked up you would see a bunch of CAPITAL LETTERS and a bunch of !!!!!

Edited by Cudz