Should I sell it on Ebay or to a dealer?

Big Cliff

Sue and I were going through a bunch of our old stuff part of wich included a box of old coins and stuff. I have done some research on line and some of this stuff looks like it could be worth a lot of money ie. a Bermuda one pound note that could be worth up to about $500.00. There is a lot more stuff, some very old medals (a 1913 Railroad Brotherhood invitational?????) Not sure if it is worth anything or not. Some proof coin sets and a bunch of fairly old coins.

The question: Would I be better to sit here and try to establish a value on each of these pieces then post them on Ebay and try to sell them that way, or just take this whole box of stuff to a dealer and hope that I get a fair price for what I have?

If it is to a dealer, anyone have any suggestions (North/East) of Toronto would be preferable.

Hey Cliff,

If you are not in a big hurry, take the stuff to a dealer to see what he's offering. Then take it all back to ebay with a reserve price on it so that you don't have to unload it at prices you are not comfortable with.

Personally, I'd research it and put it on Ebay with a reserve. I don't know enough about dealers, process, which ones are trustworthy etc...

If you have the time, and aren't in a hurry to sell, do some searches on ebay on the stuff you've got. Sometimes you can establish what things are worth just by seeing what other people put them up for sale for, and/or what the winning bids are.

Trouble with taking stuff to a dealer is he knows what the stuff is worth and you don't, so he can sandbag you.

Are you familiar with ebay? It seems a little daunting at first but it's a great resource!

I collect coins Cliff. The problem with ebay is there's alot of fraudsters, people selling junk with fake appraisals, so the legit stuff gets lost in the midst. PLus people may buy your legit coins and make a fraud allegation against you (coin switched).

Getting an appraisal done with you watching the whole time, no 'going in the back'. Don't do the whole collection but just a few at a time.

Older coins don't have much value unless you get into 1920's or some select coins with 'errors', the 1969 dime have a good percentage with an error which makes it valuable.

Paper money, unles it is mint condition, no folds or creases, it probably is not worth much either.

Anything of value, take it to a safe deposit box and insure it.

Cliff,

The unfortunately reality is that yuo always pay a lot more than you get in the coins and stamps world ... I been collecting for about 40 years (and I couldnt ever get what I paid). Much of the stuff that dealers will buy they pay literally pennies on the dollar for. Ebay is slightly better (my rule of thumb is I never pay more than 10% of catalog value - and most of what I buy is from reputable dealers - so you can imagine what they pay for their wares)

Having said that, there is a very reputable (and long in the tooth fellow who I bought one of my first stamp albums from about 35 years ago) - his store is called House of Stamps and it is at Square One (Hwy 10 and Burnhamthorpe)

You will probably get some enjoyment trying to find the 'replica' of your stuff and watching to see what is offered for and more importantly what people are prepared to pay. There is a reason dealers advertise their best stuff on EBAY... just remember to set a reserve if you don't want to run the risk of it getting 'scooped'

Feel free to PM me (or give me a call if you want to chat more about it)

Jon.

Cliff; let me know what you decide, I am very interested in how you make out. My mother recently passed and she had a Samsonite Overnight Case "Treasure Chest" half full of coins. Some of these are pre WW1 most are between 1930 and 1968. I have them in my possesion now and am trying to determine how to receive fair value for them for her estate.

P.S. I am located just on the east side of Pigeon Lake, not to far from you.

Tom.