Tournament bass guys - help!

nodie

Question for you bass guys.

Does the culling systems that goes into the bass's mouth really affect the fish? We all know it's critical to keep our bass top shape in the live well during tournament time, but will this affect the life longevity of that fish?

Thanks!

Nod

it doesnt hurt the fish. It makes removing them from the well easy as opposed to having a fish bonk its head on the corners as you stumble to grab it

Its not the culling tags thats going to kill a fish but rather low O2 heat and poor care while in the live well

I personally would say that the fish are better off without it.

... but when you're fishing for money, it doesn't matter if you kill a fish or 27... does it?

Give this guy another RUM :wallbash::wallbash:

If you want the healthiest fish, keep the live well pump going all the time.Only put it on recurculate when travelling.Fresh water like ang said, is most important.

It does not hurt the fish at all,,end of story!

aniceguy Posted Today, 06:09 PM

it doesnt hurt the fish. It makes removing them from the well easy as opposed to having a fish bonk its head on the corners as you stumble to grab it

Its not the culling tags thats going to kill a fish but rather low O2 heat and poor care while in the live well

Oh sure!... what's a little gill and lip abrasion leading to infection gonna do?... but who really cares when there's prize money to be had!!!

misfish Posted Today, 07:10 PM

Give this guy another RUM

If you want the healthiest fish, keep the live well pump going all the time.Only put it on recurculate when travelling.Fresh water like ang said, is most important.

Make it a double eh!!!

Yes, fresh water is a must... but limiting slime removal and abrasions is very important too!!!

Like I said... who cares if ya kill a few fish?.. as long as the prize money is there!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by GCD

Never used the tags always comfortable guessing, never scaled one in the boat if it was legal on the golden rule it went in the livewell, smallest one was kept on one side separate from the bigger ones. Never had one die in the livewell in a tournament.

That's the way you do it!!!

Are y'all Bass tourney boys writtin' this stuff down???

That's the way you do it!!!

Are y'all Bass tourney boys writtin' this stuff down???

so what we're saying here is ramming a 5/0 hook or 3 trebles into its mouth is ok but a cull tag is not appropriate? i tag every one of mine 12 inch or 5 lb it gets a tag, was in a tourney last year wher i started with 5, 2-3 pounders and by the end of the day i was culling 4-5 pounders and ended the day with 5 over 5 in the well all within ounces.

i have never had a fish die in the well either with a tag in them!

And the last time you were at a weigh in was?????????????????

Do yer research on the shimano live release there dawg.

FLW as well a success rate of over 95% live release and they use tags. are they being ignorant? the weekend angler who catches and keeps all their bass are harder on the fish then us tourny guys, even when i fish bass on days or for fun i catch and release them. so am i still a "bad guy" for using tags?

FLW as well a success rate of over 95% live release and they use tags. are they being ignorant? the weekend angler who catches and keeps all their bass are harder on the fish then us tourny guys, even when i fish bass on days or for fun i catch and release them. so am i still a "bad guy" for using tags?

Hey were on the same page here.LOL :Gonefishing:

Hey were on the same page here.LOL :Gonefishing:

we sure are! i was directing the second half of that at others! it almost disgusts me when people keep their bass to eat i see them as a C&R fish only (personal opinion) have maybe kept a dozen in my life because they died or couldnt be revived

so what we're saying here is ramming a 5/0 hook or 3 trebles into its mouth is ok but a cull tag is not appropriate?

i have never had a fish die in the well either with a tag in them!

The hook is momentary, the tag is not!!!

The abrasion and infection I'm talking about is not the thing that will kill a fish in the live well and you know it!!!

Can you say post release mortality???... sure!... I knew you could!

misfish Posted Today, 07:28 PM

And the last time you were at a weigh in was?????????????????

Do yer research on the shimano live release there dawg.

I don't do tourney's or weigh ins because I don't want to get caught up in the whole fishin' for money/obnoxious bass tourney fisherman thing

... but think about it, what do you think that tourney angler cares more about?... that 14 inch Bass or that $50,000 purse?

It's elementary when you stop for just one second to think about it.

I did some tourneys in the past. Not a pro at all. I always used my culling system and no it doesn't affect the fishes longevity, and the bonus is their easy to take out of the well. I talked to a lot of pros and they said bring a cooler of ice, so when the the live well water is warm, throw some ice in. That will cool down the water and help the bass from stress and eventually dieing.

Hope this will help and good luck.

Daniel

but think about it, what do you think that tourney angler cares more about?... that 14 inch Bass or that $50,000 purse?

It's elementary when you stop for just one second to think about it.

I for one have had 1 fish wieghed in dead. It bothered me. Sure theres money to be won,but when ya wiegh in a doa fish,it,s not the best feeling.

So I fished say, pretty close to 50 tourneys and 1 doa fish.Pretty good odds to me.

Oh and the one that did doa,it had a deep tube in it,s throut.I could of tossed it,but didnt.

Where are ya going with this dawg?

Nodie,you asked a very good question.

You will get some,very positive replies.

Like I said in my very first post to this thread... the fish is better off without it!

The less you do to that fish, the better the chances are for his survival after his release!!!... y'all know that!

If I should stoop to doing the cull tag thing, I would consider myself lazy with minimal respect for the fish... but that's just me eh!

studies show in water cooler then 85 deg. bass do very well

above that heat stress and other problems like low oxygen and sure why not "infection" can happen

in Canada hot water temps really are not a problem, so we don't see those problems

OHHHHHHHHHHH

Thats what yer saying.

Well,it has been proven that doing like Steve said,causes no harm to the fish.

Oh sure!!!

Y'all keep up with the fish that you release 2, 3, 4 weeks after you release them???

Who cares what happens to them after the release... just as long as they don't die in the live well and we get our prize money!!!

I know y'all are trying to justify what you do... but deep down inside you know it would be better for the fish not to cull tag it.