Video editing software - Recommendations - NF

silveradosheriff

Hey silveradosheriff, I can tell you that you pay for what you get. First thing is to decide "what" you want the software to do or how fancy you want to get. All consumer software does all about the same thing, but some do it better than other's when it comes to render times and real time playback. Video is VERY!!! cpu hungry and a resource hog when it comes to hard drive space, approximatly 13gig per hour. If you need to clean up audio or do colour correction your pretty much out of luck with any software below $150.00. If your need is to just edit some home movies,create titles and put them on to DVD, I would highly recommend Adobe Premeire Elements, also Ulead Video Studio. Both comes with software that lets you output and create DVD's. Hope this helps, if ya have any other questions just ask. Darrell

www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/

www.ulead.com/vs/runme.htm

Hey Silveradosheriff, I'm no expert but have done a few home movies in my time. As was previously mentioned, all the video editing software does pretty much the same, except that the more expensive ones have more features and effects, and of course are more complicated ie sharp learning curve. For me, I like to KISS it and keep it simple. I mostly use Arcsoft's Showbiz that I got free with my DVD burner, since it is pretty easy to use (like Windows Movie Maker) and suits my purpose (I don't create feature length movies). However, I have also used Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere, Unlead Video Studio and Roxio, since depending on the project I'm doing one of these would have the feature or effect I wanted.

If you are simply wanting to put together a home movie to share with family and friends, I'd say keep it simple, keep it cheap.

Or get a mac and make complete epics. I think Adobes really good though.

Sing it from the rooftops!!! I got my mac just for that reason it is seamless compared to PC based apps. iDVD imovie HD.... NIiiiiiiiiiiice!

Ps VOB files are DVD encoded files. and are located in your Video_TS folder... so long as you have all of them you can use DVD Decrypter.

Gerritt.