Portable Fish Finders

HUKDONFAWNIX

go for it BUT you may want to have another hole just for it. There was a thread on this in the past few weeks so if you try the search option for "fish finder + Ice" (or something like it) you should get answers.

I use my cuda 168 portable on the ice and it works fine. the drawbacks are you have to build a mount for the skimmer transducer, you have to drill a seperate hole for it, and the lcd display does not work very well in super cold temperatures.

Other than that it does the trick, but its not as nice as a flasher.

I have used my Humminbird portable LCD sonar units on the ice for years with great success. I have used them up to -20 Celcius with no problem. From what I have heard, the LCD starts to act up when the temps dip below -30, but I don't know how true that is, as I have never fished outside a hut when it's that cold.

The transducer is underwater and will be just fine. The big thing with an LCD, is to have a real time window. I have a Humminbird with a flasher style on it, but I prefer to use the traditional view with the real time window on the right. I can see my lure or bait in real time, and fish come in to look at it, and have history to the left as well.

It matters how you set the LCD sonar bigtime. For the best results on ice, I set the speed of the signal (ping speed) to the lowest point, zoom into the area that I am fishing (advanced mode for newer Humminbird units - upper and lower limit), and adjust the sensitivity last to match the lures or bait for best results. You will be impressed with the results if you have a real time window on your sonar.

The nice thing about the portable unit is, I use it on the bow of my big Lund, and for my 12' boat in the summer as well as the ice, giving me three uses for it all year round. Years ago, I modified my old Humminbird portable case to accept two gel cell 6v batteries that worsk great. Of course, now they have a soft case that works with a 12v.

As far as the transducer goes, it is best to have a Tightlok pole or something made for it to set it in the hole... or get the ice style transducer with foam just for winter.

I have fished with the transducer in the same hole and used it in a different hole as well, and found a hole right beside the one I fish out of works best. If I run it in the same hole, I have to lift the transducer out of the hole when I get a fish on, and once in a while I will hang my line up on the transducer, and need to remove it to unwrap my line. I am solving this issue next year with a round 'ice transducer' with the foam.

These are my experiences using LCD sonar on the ice. They work just as well as a flasher in my opinion (if they have a real time window), but need to be tweaked to work effectively.

This pic was taken of my Hummibird and a school of perch out of Gilford on Cooks Bay. The line coming down on the right was my small 2" spoon. The window on the right is the real time window (like a flasher, but vertical, not round). The rest is the history like you would see in summer.

Simcoe_Perch_09_5.jpg

Aaron

Edited by Aaron Shirley

I'm actually taking my old humminbird out this weekend, if only to help me locate a certain underwater structure...any recommendations on insulating the batteries? I'm thinking some foam, or some bagged fiberglass stuff from the attic wrapped around it...???

The hot packs for your hands work great for keeping batteries warm. I've never had a problem with my graph battery, but it works good for other things in the cold, like your camera in the case.......might even help with a slow LCD screen.....not sure, haven't tried.

Aaron, I was wondering why you turn the ping speed all the way down on your graph thru the ice??? I turn mine up........what's your reasoning for the lower ping speed?? Seems like when I turn mine up, I get better readings in deep water. My Lowrance X-96 will pick up my williams/badboy in 80ft no problem......but will it be better with a lower ping speed??? I've never tried.

I've been using the Lowrance for 3 seasons now, and unless its super cold (-20 or more) it works very well. I get real time readings, and great marks in deep water. I had an old eagle portable unit that fits the lowrance perfectly, and I run it off a rechargeable 12v gell cell battery, which also fits in the case perfect. The only thing that messes it up is interference from flashers that are too close to me.......but I like to stay away from the crowds, so its not much bother.

I used 1/2" copper pipe, and attached the skimmer transducer to it with a bolt. Its a really simple T set up, with the transducer hanging down a separate hole right beside my jigging hole.

Sinker

you can use a small cooler to store your battery in so it wont get too cold, it will also double as a case for your finder.

My x-67 spends the whole winter outside, I only bring it in to charge it and Im going on 6 years with no battery problems.

Aaron I am also curious why you turn your ping speed down?

I have to agree with you settings make all the difference. I have no problem marking a small williams spoon in 115fow on simcoe. If you cant see your lure your wasting time. I also much prefer having a realtime bar with history as opposed to the flasher mode.

i have the Ping speed and graph speed both set at max........however on my latest trip i had to turn down my ping speed one notch to pick up my jig properly.....strange....as i'd fished that depth(60FOW) before without any problems.

Edited by limeyangler

the tite lok thingies are ok for mounting the transducer however i've been shown a cheaper and better alternative. styrofoam with the tducer cable fed through the middle of it.. now you have a float for you transducer.

the tite lok thingies are ok for mounting the transducer however i've been shown a cheaper and better alternative. styrofoam with the tducer cable fed through the middle of it.. now you have a float for you transducer.

Exactly Raf... all I am using is an 8" piece of foam water pipe wrap. Loop the cable around it and adjust to the length you want. It doesn't move/slip what so ever. Easy to throw in hole and take back out. Foam submerges except for about 2 inches. Ice forms around it and easily breaks off when time to go as you can just squeeze the foam and the ice comes off.

First buy a 200khz ice ducer. Then you can cut your cable about 1 foot from the unit then use a union connector for both your new and old transducer. Make sure you solder the wires to the connections and use an adhesive shrink tube to make everything water tight on the connection ends.

I've done this for dozens of people without incidence.

I bought the lawerence 522c this year and use it on the ice it sure is AMAZING waht ya see with it I dont know how i have fished ice with out one it sure is great to see a fish 5' above you lure rise it up and catch that fish what a rush. Once down fall is that I dont get to relax on the ice like I once did now I have to watch the screen to see what is going on where before I would just sit with my eyes closed and drift off until I would hook into the big eye.

I took Rons idea and made the box it works great drop your ducer in the hole and you off here a=is a pic of my set up.

7ef1a059.jpg

56819ed1.jpg