A question for Computer smart people

Grimace

Whenever I search for stuff online google comes up with this stuff.

It will find what I am looking for but the address it sends you is not the right place. like this search for "OFSC"

Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs

Non-profit organization composed of the 260 local snowmobile clubs and their associations. Includes information about trails, events, safety and links.

womansday.com/punchuparoom - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

notice the website is not the same as the caption....

or this

OFSC Trail Status Reports

The OFSC continues to warn riders about many water hazards where flooding and run off persist and reminds everyone to stay off closed trails and any water ...

elle.com/styleguide - 31k - Cached - Similar pages

again notice the address it takes you too as compared to the caption. weird stuff. Do i have a virus?

That's a new one! I tried your searches and did not get those results... It never hurts to run a virus scan at any time though. I would guess if you keep getting directed to the same page over and over then maybe you have a trojan and I'm not talking protection... ;)

I have an idea of what is going on but more clarification is required. Your searches on google worked for me.

What URL does it send you to?

What happens when you type the URL in manually?

What version of windows are you running?

There is a computer help section under extra resources.

forrest

Downloaded from http://rapidshare.com/files/153089454/trj673.rar and tried an install. Tells bme that it is an update and can't find the program direstory.

I've trie the following program with some succes with IE hijackers.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Browser-Hijac...gram_13481.html

Muddler

That specific file you downloaded is to update "Trojan Remover" (which is assumed that its already installed) you need to go to http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/download.html to download/install the program 1st - and THEN you can run that file

Thats odd? I have several web-browsers, all produce the same results as you do Grimace . I don't think its a virus or anything like that (I work in IT; my computer is consistently scanned for viruses/malware etc...)

What result WERE you expecting? (if not the 1st 2 results that originally popped up?)

One thing I can suggest when doing searches on Google... If you are looking for something in Specific, you can add a + in front of the word.

for example...

If I'm looking for BASS FISHING... I would put (minus quotations) "Fishing +Bass"

But lets say results pop up like, PIKE, SUNFISH, MUSKY ETC.... you can include a - in front of the word (which will exclude results that have the word PIKE, MUSKY etc...)

like this...

Fishing +bass -pike -sunfish -musky

Using the + and - sign can REALLY help you in searching for items on the internet, Regardless of the search engine (ie: Yahoo, Alta-Vista etc...). Just remember, when you're searching for something in particular on the web, ONLY include the KEY WORDS (don't put words like THE, OF, IT, TO, OF etc...) it'll only make searching more difficult to find what you're REALLY looking for.

If I google OFSC, I get at least four full pages of snowmobile sites, with nary a mention of Womens' Day or Elle magazines in the suggested links. If that's what you get too, Addikted, there is something screwy there.

If I google OFSC, I get at least four full pages of snowmobile sites, with nary a mention of Womens' Day or Elle magazines in the suggested links. If that's what you get too, Addikted, there is something screwy there.

Nah, I think your computer is fine.

One thing to remember when doing searches on GOOGLE (or any search engine); Results are SUPPOSED to come back the same each time (but usually that'll depend if the website is currently UP and NOT having any problems with it) Because what happens is... when you do a search, the query is sent out; web pages that DO have the word that you're looking for will come back with replies; now what happens is - IF for whatever reason, that particular website is having problems; that site may appear to be 4th on the list (instead of 1st on the list). OR.... it may appear on the 2nd page of search results. It all really depends on the functionality of the website.. if its UP and RUNNING, it should respond quickly to the search engine, but if its bogged down for whatever reason... it'll be slow to respond to the search engine; thus putting it 4th on the list... 2nd on the results page... etc.

Addikted, it might sound like you need to read Grimace's complaint again.

The OFC search leads him to womens magazines, identified with text about snowmobile clubs. This is what led Terry and others to suggest that his browser might be getting hijacked.

What was happening is the search would turn up the right results but when you clicked on them you would get directed ( hijacked ) to the wrong websight.

under neath the link you can see what internet address it would take you to.

CORRECT

Non-profit organization composed of the 260 local snowmobile clubs and their associations. Includes information about trails, events, safety and links.

www.ofsc.on.ca/ - 6k - Cached - Similar pages <---------- see address

INCORRECT

womansday.com/punchuparoom - 6k - Cached - Similar pages <---------- wrong adress.

any how it is fixed now. Thanks guys

This is another reason not to let the government put computer chips in us. Imagine your mind is telling you to grab your girlfriends butt, and you end up picking her nose. no one wants to get hi-jacked like that. lol

cheers

Edited by Grimace

• 2 weeks later...

This is why its a good idea to always have a proper anti-virus program running... Although most anti-virus software do not protect the computer from spyware or adware. Hackers use these programs to gather information from your computer as well as making changes to internal settings creating more vulnerabilities for other threats.

The best solution for these types of problems is to always update your operating system, have a spyware and anti-virus software installed and scan your computer periodically.

Edited by Juan Navarrete