Shore fishin the Niagara

jwl

After too much sitting around and lack of fishing due to the crap conditions over the last while on the Niagara, I got out today for a bit of shore trashing. Ice in the river has been pretty bad the last while, and as of 2 days ago the launch was crap so it was decided not to bring the boat out this time and do a bit of bottom bouncing from shore.

Got there first thing this morning and fishing was tough with all the ice around..maybe 1 out of every 20 drifts was a decent one at best, or you had to wait it out between chunks.

We chucked our arms off for the morning..good thing my 11.6 noodle rod is pretty light :rolleyes:

Finally the fish seemed to turn on and I gained hopw when 2 fish where hooked within about 10 minutes from eachother a bit down stream of where I was.

I tried every colour I had in the box, then fianlly went with a metallic chart/green corky and a bright green streamer and winded up with my only fish of the day

Don't worry coach I have another pic of this one with a sign so we can add 25 inches of GL trout to our list of recent catches ;):Gonefishing:

after I get the bonus inches we can make that 25+2=27 for the good guys :thumbsup_anim:

Jan09.jpg

Edited by jwl

Nice fish Jack!!! I have not missed much then with conditions that we have in the river. Maybe it will be nice enough next weekend to take the boat out for a bit of laker action at the bar.

you got that right!, only thing missed out on is actually getting out on the river. That was my 4th time in like a month, river has been brown...if not brown then super bad windchills, if not that, then tonnes of ice. Almost everyone I fish with, and also a guide I know hasn't fished the river hardly at all over this time. The gorge areas have been loaded with ice and virtually unfishable, it will get better as the ice bridge locks up.

Still 3 months left of good fishin ;)

Nice fish Jack!! Glad you got out, I am sure you were getting a case of cabin fever.

I hope we have a few days of nice temps, if we do I'll take you up on your offer.

tell me about it man,I try to fish a couple times a week and this past while has only been a couple times all together...what we need is some normal winter temps..this minus 15 crap is starting to suck :lol: . I got late this afternoon for a bit on a friends boat and man was it freekin cold, first off had to shove some big ice chunks out of the way at the launch, then had to warm the motor up big time before we could head out, had to goof with the "tell tale" to get water to come out. It was so cold that every time we stopped the motor to drift we had to unplug the ice from it when we started up., everything that got wet instantly flash froze, my streamer went hard as a nail :lol: , when you put the rod down to do anyhting if the line, sinker or bait touched the side of the boat it froze right to it :o

I still caught one though :thumbsup_anim:

it was worth toughing it out, we made about 10 drifts that was it as it was about 3;30 when we started fishing, fish was a hen about the same size as yesterday..not same location ;)

quote name='jwl' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:06 PM' post='296915']

. I got late this afternoon for a bit on a friends boat and man was it freekin cold, first off had to shove some big ice chunks out of the way at the launch,

The launch could not have been too bad as I spent at least a hour on friday busting it up with a spud. I cleaned as much as I could till I thought my arms were going to fall off. That ice right at the water had to be 8" thick and hard as a rock. I was 2 for 4 and my dad lost one at his feet. Heres a pic of one of mine on Friday

098.jpg[

quote name='jwl' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:06 PM' post='296915']

. I got late this afternoon for a bit on a friends boat and man was it freekin cold, first off had to shove some big ice chunks out of the way at the launch,

The launch could not have been too bad as I spent at least a hour on friday busting it up with a spud. I cleaned as much as I could till I thought my arms were going to fall off. That ice right at the water had to be 8" thick and hard as a rock. I was 2 for 4 and my dad lost one at his feet. Heres a pic of one of mine on Friday

098.jpg[

I saw you down there busting it up Friday just before we left,it has been brutal down there in the mornings,freezes back up over night all the time. In my reply from yesterday's post that you are quoting there.....I was talking about the Upper Niagara not Queenston :Gonefishing: