My brothers fight this weekend - NF

steverowbotham

As many of you know, my brother has been fighting mixed martial arts for the past 2 years. After compiling a 78-8 record in high school wrestling, an OFSAA gold medal and a National Greco-Roman Championship, he needed something else to take up his time. After going 6-0 in amateur MMA competition, he has had some struggles as a professional, losing his debut by SPLIT decision to Tim Smith, who is undefeated in 4 bouts since.

n502843091_402839_8678.jpg

n502843091_413216_4969.jpg

In his second pro fight, he defeated the hometown favourite Mike Zvonick by armbar at 2:14 of round number 1.

n502843091_1073867_9244.jpg

n502843091_1214270_1419.jpg

In his 3rd pro fight, he took on a monster of a man in undefeated KEto Allen, and after a great first round, he succumbed to a hard kick to the liver in round 2 and was forced to submit, something he said was one of the hardest decisions he ever made.

n502843091_1821052_1206.jpg

n502843091_1823846_6323.jpg

We are T-minus 5 days from his return to the cage as he looks to defeat Lethbridge's Neil Berry at RITC 33 in Lethbridge, AB. Wish him the best of luck in the fight, and the weight cutting!

UPDATE

It's fight night. Mike's the Co-Main Event, and it should happen around 10:00pm MTN so 12:00am EST. I will update this with results.

Mike made weight at 186lbs while his opponent weighed in at 184.5 lbs.

Below is the weigh-in pic

n502843091_2068844_3359.jpg

Edited by steverowbotham

One tough dude !

Never have gotten into the unltimate fighting thing but hope he does well .

TB

I wasnt that into it either before he got into it. I watched a few events here and there, but now I have a true understanding of the sport. I cant recall my brother ever being in a streetfight, hes very disciplined, and he keeps in touch with all of his previous opponents. Being at 3 of his 9 events, I got to see a behind the scenes view of it. I expected everyone to be "angry bullies". Its the complete opposite, everyone is truely humble, very nice people. The angry kids dont have the discipline to last in a sport like this where one mistake can cost you.

Mma fighters are 100%athletes period, George St.Pierre was recentley voted sportnet athlete of the year! No other athlete in any other sport could even hope tp match the work ethic and discipline of MMA-alot of them come from wrestling and martial arts background and many have college degrees, I wish Mike the best Steve -I'll be cheering him on!

Good luck to your brother Steve! It isn't easy when getting a paycheck means looking forward to a hard kick to the liver! And those guys hit HARD.

They certainly do! I made the mistake of allowing my brother to kick me in the thigh a couple months ago... lets just say I limped for the rest of the day and the bruise lasted almost a week, and I dont even think he went all out.

I hope he doesn't have to fight a buddy of mine any time soon... Sean Pierson, a fighter in the mma.

Sean's a good fighter. I've seen him fight a few times now. He fights at 170 though, and until my bro makes that move down from 185, there's no chance of it happening. Although it would be a good fight between 2 good ground fighters.