Snowfari Adventures

Jay T

If there's one thing I've learned from fishing boards is this:

1) either a negative review is posted by competitors and their on-line friends/family (common on-line behaviour) or its really true and, most importantly,

2) determining whether the review is true or false is not better than a coin toss

I pick services and products based on people I know and trust, face to face in the real world, not on-line shills or anti-shills.

So you wouldn't trust these reviews Kirk? I would say the evidence is overwhelming and I'm one of the biggest skeptics out there. One or two negatives, with differing opinions from those who have had a positive experience may lead to doubt, but I'm not seeing too many supporting this operation. I don't know any hut operators out there, nor do I have anything to gain by providing a review, but I do know what I was told by people who had the snowfari "experience" and it wasn't good.

Hi Riz: On other boards, Lake Simcoe outfitters would post 'negative' reports from people just taking time out of their busy day to help out others and 'warn' them...it was common for this to be their competition and their friends would post as well to make it sound like a crowd of people that were screwed over.

The flip side was 'positive reports', again from family and friends, again bearing no relation to the truth.

So, its not that I trust or don't trust a report, I just ignore them as the noise that comes with an ice fishing season that is very short and very competitive and some years does not happen at all due to a lack of ice which increases the pressure on everyone to make hay while the sun shines.

I have my short list of outfitters, friends that go on Simcoe (with their GPS markers for structure, hot spots etc) and the outfitters they trust, and most days nothing beats going out on your own.

I use outfitters only on really cold days which require a hut or shelter or if I am taking people icefshing for their first time.

Edited by Kirk

Hi Riz: On other boards, Lake Simcoe outfitters would post 'negative' reports from people just taking time out of their busy day to help out others and 'warn' them...it was common for this to be their competition and their friends would post as well to make it sound like a crowd of people that were screwed over.

The flip side was 'positive reports', again from family and friends, again bearing no relation to the truth.

So, its not that I trust or don't trust a report, I just ignore them as the noise that comes with an ice fishing season that is very short and very competitive and some years does not happen at all due to a lack of ice which increases the pressure on everyone to make hay while the sun shines.

I have my short list of outfitters, friends that go on Simcoe (with their GPS markers for structure, hot spots etc) and the outfitters they trust, and most days nothing beats going out on your own.

I use outfitters only on really cold days which require a hut or shelter or if I am taking people icefshing for their first time.

First off I am not an outfitter, just a regular joe that loves to hunt and fish.

Well you can ingnore all the posts and go give him YOUR business then. Like you said "it is a very short season" that is why I started the post so it would warn people that they are wasting thier hard earned money, like my whole group did.

Also, I mostly go out with my portable with buddy's or myself if it is close to home, this was a weekend trip away from home <_<

Sorry if you were offended. I don't believe everything I read on the internet, and like I said in my first post, there are posts with truthful accurate content, there is just no way of proving it.

I guess 100% of all posts contain true information?

Sorry if you were offended. I don't believe everything I read on the internet, and like I said in my first post, there are posts with truthful accurate content, there is just no way of proving it.

I guess 100% of all posts contain true information?

Not all but you would like to think the person that went through the trouble to start the tread is telling the truth. To be honest I never thought of someone starting a thread to voice a problem would be doing it to submarine someones business. To me that's just low. I don't believe everything I read or watch either but I believe the original poster because it was very similar to our experience there. Good point though, made me think.

when people sign up to here just to post a great review or a real bad review, I take it with a grain of salt

but with a good number of posts I tend to take them at their word

and when members with over 1000 post under their belt tell the same story, I take it as gospel

I read all post about good service and bad service

I think I can tell the ones that are not real reviews

I seen all the pages and thought why not have a look see.

I only gots one question????????????????

Why do ya all go so far, when ya gots Simcoe right here?????????????????????

Perch

lakers

whities

crappie

walleye

One thing I forgot to say,the net is very powerful. It gets the WORD out there quick.

Weather good or bad. Everyone has thier thoughts and opinions on someone or something.

Carry on.

Edited by misfish

I dont think any outfitters on Simcoe offer the big ice bungalows.

Sounds like a big cash flow oppourtunity for someone! :whistling: Where's my hammer....

Few years back when "the guys" started to make the yearly trek to Nippising, Snowfari was the only game in town with 8 and then the huge 10 man huts. We booked with them 2 years in a row.

Now it seems more outfitters are building them. cough..Grump & Grumpies..cough cough.. : :thumbsup_anim:

When I see good reports about outfitters or products from people I know and trust, I believe them. When I see bad reports about outfitters or products from people I know and trust, I believe them too. If I am unsure of the source of the information, I investigate and them make my own decision. In this case, I can assure you that if I was booking a trip up there for a weekend, I wouldn't be taking a chance on this outfitter. If after all of the reports on here you want to then by all means go for it and we'd love to see your report and pictures, simple as that!

I wouldn't book with snowfari either...but for the same reason as I would not book with an operator that got a good review.

I have my own experiences and those of a few I ice fish with.

Going off internet postings is gambling. I have more than a few files of people burned by 'reputable' (on the internet) movers, jewellers and other trades.

I have never built a thing in my life, but who wants to bet I could have a professional looking web site within 7 days, and could I get 1 or 10 or 20 people (friends and family) to post reviews here and there on the net? throw in some bad reviews for local competitors and next thing you know I am bidding on completing your home reno and hoping its easy and the guys on duty at Home Depot will be able to talk me thru it as I do it the first time.

or maybe take a healthy initial deposit and not show up again (happened to a more than a few friends of mine)

As for 'submarining' competitors, it was a common occurence on another web site. Internet bashing is on the tame side, arson and violent crimes are at the other extreme.

Edited by Kirk

althought kirk you make a good point you do have to take into acc't where this info is coming from......

from your original post it seems to me at least that you have said this whole COMMUNITY is wrong in thier opinions and are not valued to have some merit.....

i think this board is unique as to the many friends and relationships that are made on here.....

what you are reffering to is somewhere other than here where ppl dont really know each other....i for one have met some very great ppl here and consider them friends.....

look at how many ppl have comntributed to this thread....you think everyone could be wrong...

where there is smoke there is fire....

Methinks what Kirk was saying was don't believe everything you read on the internet.Good advice.But i also think i would not book with this operator.Also good advice.Anyone one have any do's or don't on Simcoe? I've booked with Tim Hales based on what i've read here and also the area i would like to fish.

All in all a good thread in these hard time$ our money need$ to be well $pent!

Floyd Hales in Beaverton....Lake Simcoe ...has some 4 man ice bungalows ,new this year.I've never used them....yet.....but I've seen pictures on their website. $180.00 for a weekend.So you were right Diss it wont take long.......