Quickstrike pike

Riparian

I headed out to find some pike on a small pond near my place today. I arrived around 2pm, and only fished for around 2 hrs. The snow was about a foot and a half deep and there was no walking paths so travel was difficult.

Ive never caught a pike on a tip-up before, but I have tried a few times with no sucess. Today was the day i got my first one. I went to the deepest part of the pond, which was only about 6 ft deep and drilled my holes for my gear.

Set up my tipup with a quickstrike rig my friend gave me (thanks Beats)

IceFishingJan09005.jpg

IceFishingJan09001.jpg

IceFishingJan09006.jpg

I set up my sonar and my jigging hole about 15 ft from the tip up, and tried to catch some small fish that were showing up on the graph. I assume they were tiny perch. I was bouncing a lindy jig tipped with some berkley maggots but even that seemed to big for them as they would only knock it around down there.

So the windchill is about -25 so im sitting in my portable out of the wind. About an hour goes by and Ive totally forgotten about the tipup, which is what usually happens. Suddenly I hear this sound,

Ticktickticktick.

My first instict was "what the hell was that" and I start looking out the windows of the hut. Suddenly I remember the tip up and I run over to it to find this fella on the end of the line.

IceFishingJan09003.jpg

IceFishingJan09002.jpg

Strange feeling bringing in a big pike hand over hand. I love this method of fishing, but it takes great patience. Once he was out he stiffened up immediatly since it was so cold, it would have been nice to have a buddy to help get him unhooked. I did it though after not too much time, and he was released to be caught another day.

Edited by Riparian

thanks for the report! nice fish good and healthy lookin! sluch? or just from you drilling the holes?

There was alot of slush. The ice was about 8 inches thick but there was well over a foot of snow on it. When I drilled the holes water rushed up from it a little bit. I assume its from the weight of the snow on the ice.

Nice fish for sure. Handlining pike is always a good time. Last summer handlining for walleye i got a 37 incher to the cradel by hand. That is a great pike for a small lake like that. I love forgetting about he setline, then having it go off, always good for a rush as you scramble for it lol.

-R-