Eagle Lake (NW Ont.) - Little Vermilion Bay Lodge

dustink

....I made a trip up there two years ago and fished the Vermillion Bay area. Spent the entire 3 days fishing musky. Naturally we (TEP) and I didn't get any but we did raise over 20 fish in the 3 days and most were of the "tank" variety. Suicks and large inline spinners raised most of the fish but it was as I said to TEP "they've seen it all before....LOL"

Can't help you with the walleye bite other than to say they seemed to be everywhere. :whistling:

Beautiful lake, I've no doubt you'll enjoy it.

I live in Dryden, fished Eagle Lake a couple of times, its ok....but if i was going for Walleye it would not be my first choice. I have never fished for or caught a musky and know that Eagle lake has a reputation for good musky fishing, certainly Bobby's Corner (tackle store) in Vermillion bay has a nice selection of musky baits.

If i only had a week to fish, and given the scant knowledge i have considering i live here....lol....i would be heading to Lac Seul if it was Walleye and Musky i was after.

I suggest maybe contacting OFC member Benbeattie...he has guided Lac Seul, and has caught some nice Musky, and even i can catch big walleye on that body of water.

I'm sure The Lodge at Vermillion Bay would be great, and i'm not trying to send you elsewhere or say anything bad about a lodge or Lake i'm really not familiar with, just throwing what i know into the ring so to speak.

Hope this helps.

Simon

I fish Eagle Lake at the same time you are talking about coming every year. Like limeyangler says, it is not a fish after fish lake for walleye, but having said that, our group always brings home walleyes, northerns, and lake trout. We have never had a really bad time there in the last 20 years. While I stay at a private cabin that my buddy owns, the resorts there can put you on the path to the correct fishing areas for the species you are looking for, while there are huge muskies (we got one last year that was 54") they have to be released since the season for them opens the 3rd sat in june.

Eagle is a beautiful lake and there are several lakes you can easily get into for a day , lakes like Crabclaw and walleye have short portages to, and violet and clearwater can be accessed by boat,

you'll enjoy your stay in the vermilion bay area for sure.

the trout in my avatar was caught in the bay that is the entrance to go up to Bass Lake, it was 9 pounds and was in 12 feet of water, while fishing for walleye, so you never know what you'll get or where you'll get it.

Edited by grt1

Thanks, guys!

Musky is closed until June 1 (I believe)....so we'll be fising for Northern, Walleye, and Smallmouth. The owner of the place said they have some boats at a couple of lakes that have boats at them, and the one we're most interested in the smallmouth lake.

We'll see....thanks for the insights!!!