Hunting Report

huntervasili

Well this may be a little over due but better late than never I suppose. Back in October A friend, Mac, and I headed up North of Prince George to Mac's home in Fort St. John for a little bit of hunting. First day was Coyotes, second a little duck hunting and some grouse and on the last day a few more hours out grouse and squirrel hunting. We hunted near the Peace valley for Coyotes and we were successful. We had a tough time getting any of them to talk but eventually they started to howl, and when they did, the whole valley filled with barks and howls. We heard one down near the river and so ran down a large break untill we saw him. Ohh and he was on the other side of the river. We caught a glimpse but he was soon off to chase the younger yotes around. So we continued walking by the river until we say 4 more coyotes, oh they too were on the other side of the river. Mac took a shot and he went down. Now we took a look to see where to cross the freezing cold river, and there was nowhere less than hip deep. Sure enough we eventually retrieved it and were soaked to the bone and cold, as it was a cool day and nice and frosty morning. Not a large coyote but was a fun time. We figured we would head up as it was to be about a 2 hour walk back to the car and we were drenched to the bone. Here are some pics of where we were hiking. DSC00733.jpg

DSC00732.jpg

DSC00734.jpg

DSC00738.jpg

A pic of the coyote and me putting my clothes back on... Wore the boots to cross the river but was smart enough to take off my pants so atleast I would be partially dry. Would have been a funny sight for anyone had they seen us, two guys crossing a freezing cold river and all for a lousy coyote :)

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

And then the results of one of the days grouse hunting (plus a duck from the day before)

DSC_00182.jpg

Overall it was a great time hunting we ended up with one mallard hen, 18 grouse and the coyote. We saw a few hundred Muleys on the drive as well so I cant wait for next season to come around. Hope you all enjoyed the report.

Edited by Bill Parker

I'm not a hunter Bill, but my son worked in the Fort St. John area a few years back erecting communication towers, and he said it was a gorgeous part of Canada and I think your pictures prove that.

Thanks for the story.

Looks like a nice walk and the scenery is spectacular.

A productive hunt is just a bonus.

You should have walked through the river without boots, socks and pants.

I did it to help a friend retrieve a deer in Nov. from across a southern Ontario river.

Water was near zero degrees and the river was probably twice as wide as the one you crossed.

Water was only up to our knees at max.though. Nice when you have dry clothes/boots to put back on.

Wiped our legs and feet on some tall grasses to get rid of most of the water before getting dressed again.

Thanks for the report and pics.

Looks like a nice walk and the scenery is spectacular.

A productive hunt is just a bonus.

You should have walked through the river without boots, socks and pants.

I did it to help a friend retrieve a deer in Nov. from across a southern Ontario river.

Water was near zero degrees and the river was probably twice as wide as the one you crossed.

Water was only up to our knees at max.though. Nice when you have dry clothes/boots to put back on.

Wiped our legs and feet on some tall grasses to get rid of most of the water before getting dressed again.

Thanks for the report and pics.

Well we tried to cross without the boots but unfortunately the rocks were way to sharp and slippery. We ended up crossing with boots and underwear...

Thanks for sharing Bill,

Good to see you getting out and about. It is great country up there. Got my first moose ever south of Vanderhoof and the second one up by Pink Mountain. Good memories.

Post pics anytime please!

all the best,

Cool, nice report. The terrain / surroundings look great, and the birds look tasty. Quick question about the coyote, what is the purpose of killing it? And I'm not asking that in a judgemental way, just curious. Is it for sport, to eat, to mount, to use the fur, or to increase the numbers of other game?