Northern Minnesota

danc

I spent the night just over the border in Minnesota. It's only a 40 minute drive. The Lake Superior shoreline along hwy 61 in Minnesota is spectacular at any time of the year. But the winter season is especially majestic. Despite temps as low as -30F, and occasionally -40F, it rarely freezes over. It's happened only twice in the last 100 years if my recollection is correct. The lake is rarely calm. So, what happens when those huge waves crash against the rocky shoreline? The answer is that they freeze, almost instantly and start building up layer after layer of solid ice on the rocks. It ranks up there with Mother Natures best work. The cold season is just getting started, so the ice layers and build up are just getting started.

I'm still amazed with this HDR photo enhancement thing. But I'm trying to make my photos look less "cartoonish", and use the HDR enhancement to bring out more detail only. I'm still learning, but I'm happy with the results so far.

On another note, my better half Sis works at a gas bar/ restaurant/ convenience store/ gift shop. She asked the owners if we could put up a few of our photographs for sale in the gift shop. They obliged, so she brought a few framed photographs over. She told the owners what we wanted from the sale price and the owners doubled that. We thought that they were asking way too much. Within two weeks all of our photos sold and we were handed a nice envelope of cash. Quite flattering to say the least. So we just might have a little side business on the go here.

Anyways, back to today's photos. This first shot could not have possibly done in HDR. I was behind a sun shaded rocky point and I noticed that the waves would occasionally crash up against the rocks and light up in the sun. I had to time the shots to catch the lit up waves. This was the best one.

HR7.jpg

The rest of the shots are all HDR. Thanks for looking.

HR1.jpg

HR4.jpg

HR2.jpg

HR3-1.jpg

HR5.jpg

Thanks for the generous comments all.

Whopper. I've driven this highway hundreds of time and I agree with you. It is breath taking. But I've only stopped to explore it more intimately the past few years when my interest in photography began. It's amazing what I've been driving past all these years. If you have the time, I could point out a few "must see" locations next time you're up this way.

muskyhunter5150. Thanks. That's my favorite as well.

Hi Dan:

These are great and I really like the more subtle use of HDR. You are right, the first one can't be done easily with HDR, but there are several ways you can gain dynamic range. Here are two different approaches using Photoshop:

http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/Two-Expo...astMasking.html

http://tv.adobe.com/#vi+f1480v1260

Hey Al. Haven't seen you on the message board in a while. I'm guessing that you're making jigs for 2009? Not a bad way to spend the winter. About your other methods of gaining dynamic range, they still require multiple exposures. Same thing, different software. I'm aware of the Photoshop method. Never tried it. I'm happy with my Photomatix results.

Cast-Away. Thanks for the comments. If you would like, I can link you to larger file sizes that would make a much better desk top. Let me know. The method for making my photos look the way that they do is all done after the shot(s) are taken. I use HDR post processing. There's lots of info on this subject at the beginning of the photography forum. Go back and have a look. If there's anything more that you would like to know and can't find, let us know here. We'd be happy to help you out.

Pamela.. Where have you been? I value your participation in this forum. Don't be a stranger, k?

Evster. Thanks. I appreciate your input in this forum. Keep the shots coming. They are much appreciated.