Carp on sale at Grocery Store

Clampet

Numbers are in decline because every eel in the world spawns in the same spot. Some swim north, some swim south, some immediately enter ports to the west. The Chinese were harvesting the eels from this spawning area every year. You keep killing off the breeding hole every year and well.. bye bye eels.

Anywho, I've tried it smoked, fried, baked.. never could stand the stuff!

Numbers are in decline because every eel in the world spawns in the same spot. Some swim north, some swim south, some immediately enter ports to the west. The Chinese were harvesting the eels from this spawning area every year. You keep killing off the breeding hole every year and well.. bye bye eels.

That statement is in error... you may want to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eel_life_history

Fried Eel... not so good... baked and smoked is delicious

Edited by GCD

WE did up an eel on a fishing trip once , put it on a spit over the fire and the oil dripping off the eel will keep the fire going. It was actually pretty good.

My uncle used to sell carp to restaurants, they would take the small ones and pass them off as halibut. This would be around late forties.

You have a pretty refined palet dawg..

Smoked eel, wrapped in sea weed over sushi rice... Believe they call it Unagi.. OOH BABY.

Like Oprah on a baked ham..

Lunch has been decided.

NOICE.

HD

Bbq'd eel (Unagi) with sauce is very tasty and good for the body.

They are a bit hard to prepare initially, but once you get the hang of it it's like filleting any other fish. I wouldn't eat any of the eels from China a the moment as they've been fed things that shouldn't be eaten. If memory serves me correct the American eels was taken off the list of harvestable fish as it helps in controlling an invasive species in the great lakes.

Deep fried in Chinese 5 spice is tasty too, not like other fried methods.

Never even thought about lamprey until I read that insert by hammercarp. That's an interesting read.

Stan

That statement is in error... you may want to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eel_life_history

Fried Eel... not so good... baked and smoked is delicious

The spawning grounds for the two species are in an overlapping area of the southern Sargasso Sea, with A. rostrata apparently being more westward than A. anguilla, and with some some spawning by the American eel possibly even occurring off the Yucatan Peninsuala outside of the Gulf of Mexico, but this has not been confirmed. After spawning in the Sargasso Sea and moving to the west, the leptocephali of the American eel exit the Gulf Stream earlier than the European eel and begin migrating into the estuaries along the east coast of North America between February and late April at an age of about one year and a length of about 60 mm.

From your article..?