My 2008 Year in Review

trapshooter

With my softwater season over and ice fishing about a week away, my season has come full circle and I thought I'd put together a year in review report.

I kicked off the 08 hardwater season fishing speckies in BC. We made several trips to a back country lake on a bench half way up a mountain. Fun to access on a sled winding around the switchbacks as we climbed up to the lake. It never failed to produce for us either.

Here is a view from the trail in, across the valley. Absolutely beautiful country out there.

DSC01902.JPG

A typical fish from this lake. Most were between 15 and 18 inches.

DSCN1629.JPG

DSC01111.JPG

DSC01368.JPG

DSC01169.JPG

Every fish was taken on a small jig tipped with a shrimp-ring shrimp! You learn something new all the time.

Spring found me back in Ontario and in southern Ontario late April means one thing..... Wild Turkeys! What a thrilling hunt this was. I harvested this Tom on the 2nd morning of the season. 22lbs, 10 3/8ths inch beard.

DSC_3699.JPG

DSC_3684.JPG

On May 1st I made my annual pilgrimage back to northwestern Ontario for another season of guiding on Lac Seul. With winter holding on, this is the scene we found when we arrived at camp.

DSC_3745.JPG

Froze SOLID!!

Walleye opener found us dodging ice flows to get at some of our spring spots.

The highlight of spring fishing for me was this pike. Taken in late may, twitching a husky jerk off a primary point in a big bay. Textbook pike spot and it held this girl.

PA090010.JPG

40" - dark, clean and beautiful.

If you've ever spent any time in the bush in northern Ontario in the spring you'll be familiar with the thump-thump-thump drumming of the ruffed grouse. I caught this fella with the camera doing his dance, trying hard to impress the ladies.

DSC_3825.JPG

As spring melted into summer the walleye action heated up. I spend the majority of the summer targeting walleye and here's a selection of some of the nicer fish and photographs from my 08 season.

DeanBenson29quarter.JPG

29 1/4" I guided on the 2nd day of the season.

27bCheyenne.JPG

A chunky spring fish. I targeted this fish in deeper water then we were catching higher volumes of smaller fish and it paid off.

I found a really hot bite one day with my guests and brought my wife, Kelly, back to the spot that evening. They were still there and we had a blast pounding away at the walleyes until dark. The spot is a small sand point that juts out underwater from shore, making a perfect little cup that the wind was pounding into.

DSC_4059.JPG

As you can see, I painted this spot pink with my GPS trails earlier in the day. And just a bit of action on the graph too!

DSC_4051.JPG

Kelly with a nice walleye.

DSC_4066.JPG

Me with an average walleye from my little hot spot.

DSC_4087.JPG

One more from that evening on the fish board for a quick measure.

That evening of great walleye fishing with Kelly is one I'll never forget.

It seems that every time I get Kelly out in the boat she is a good luck charm. On a sunny summer afternoon we got into another big school of fish.

DSC_4185.JPG

DSC_4199.JPG

Kelly with both of our fish from a double header.

DSC_4315.JPG

hook-set

DSC_4326.JPG

result

That afternoon I caught this guy flying overhead

DSC_4217.JPG

Here is one of my favourite fish that I've ever guided. Julia is 9 years old and this was the 3rd year that I've guided her and her family. She is quite the little fisher girl - tying her own jigs, baiting her hook, netting, unhooking and handling fish like a pro. I really wanted her to get a big walleye. In the last 5 minutes of the last day of their trip I watched her set the hook and saw her rod double over. I knew it was big and she battled it like a pro - lifting up slow and reeling down until it was in the net. Check out that smile!! Talk about job satisfaction!

PB190060.JPG

Another nice Lac Seul walleye for me.

PC100071.JPG

And a big fall pike to round out my season at the lodge. This girl hit a bucktail burned along the deep edge of a weed bed.

HPIM2532.JPG

HPIM2535.JPG

On sept 15th I started chasing the grouse with a shotgun instead of the camera.

DSC_4743.JPG

Here's what the grouse were eating.

DSC_4753.JPG

And here's what I was eating :)

DSC_4767.JPG

In October Kelly and I moved to Sioux Lookout and I turned my attention to muskies. Although I didn't catch one myself, my fishing partner Graham got 2 beauties in my boat. What a thrill.

DSC01365.jpg

DSC01391.jpg

How's this for 'match-the-hatch'

DSC01403_001.jpg

Mid November I was chasing white-tailed deer and was fortunate enough to harvest this 6pt near Dryden Ontario.

DSC01430.jpg

That was my 08 season. My only regret is having to wait all winter for a chance at my first muskie. For now, bring on the ice and snow - it's time to ice fish!!

Cheers,

ben

Edited by BenBeattie

great shots Ben

You are a lucky bugger , spent one day in lac suel this summer ( visiting family in Dryden) and can't imagine living there .

Thnaks for the tips on Lac Suel payed off with the big fish of the day !

beauty first deer

thanks again

TB

Edited by tinbanger

Incredible report Ben in fact incredible season for you! I have to rely on such posts for my fish experience - through the eyes of others so to speak as I could not venture out one single time but I have to tell you this post is very inspirational to say the least. Great job!