White-tailed Deer

brandon

I went for a walk in a nearby forest this afternoon during a nice snowfall hoping to spot some deer. I saw a few at this same spot a few days ago and today they were in pretty much the same spot. This time however there was more deer, 6 in total. The deer were in some pretty thick stuff so I had to get closer and position myself for some photos. After about 10 minutes of some really slow movements, I was in a good spot. 2 of the younger deer were pretty curious and came quite close to me so I spent most of the time photographing them.....enjoy

089editresize.jpg

116editresize.jpg

132editresize.jpg

152editresize.jpg

164editresize.jpg

181editresize.jpg

191editresize.jpg

197editresize.jpg

Brandon I'm a fan of your photography. I'd like to give you a tip.

Learn how to hunt without a weapon and you'll get the best results! Tracking to locate high traffic areas will allow you to pick the perfect location for a tree stand or ground blind. If I wasn't a hunter I'd have some stunning shots right now. In particular I wish I could have photo'd the fawn trying to climb my Son's tree stand for a closer sniff. Or the two fawns that met beneath my stand with their curious introductions, nuzzling and body language.

I've had birds land on my head and a chicadee within a foot of my face just reading me the riot act for looking like tree. My Son was nearly attacked by a coopers hawk. It must have though his leafy hat was a squirrels nest. If he hadn't swatted it with his bow he might have got some scratches. Many times I wished I had a camera instead of a weapon.

You can hang a treestand at any level of a tree. Add a pile of apples and your going to get some awesome shots. I always see more wildlife without the bow. Murphy's law. I bet if you try this approach, you'll drive the hunters nuts with your photos. Here's the kind of thing I see out of season!

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=deer+...emb=0&aq=f#

Hey Chilli thanks for the tips.....I am a hunter and i've also been a hunting guide so when I do take photos I treat it like I am hunting. Sometimes even fully camo'd and in a ground blind. Since I have gotten more and more into photography I've put my camera as my top weapon instead of bow or shotgun.....plus the adrenaline rush when encountering a bear with a bow is one thing, but when armed with only a camera and on the ground at the bears level is a whole new rush.

THe wood duck box is a good idea for the screech owls too. We don't have many trees in our backyard here so for now I'll just keep going to the local nature area and take pictures.....plus I try not to take photos with bird feeders/houses in them.....just my personal choice though

Anyways thanks for taking the time to check out my photos

centerpin.......I use a Canon 50D Body with a Canon 100-400L series lens.......well i used to anyways......my monopod pulled apart the other day while carrying my camera and it came crashing to the cement trail i was walking on........the lens was fine but the body is cracked in many places. Still waiting to hear if it's repairable or not.....if not I'll probably just get the same camera again......no complaints with the 50D so far