Deer Steak - Supper Time - NF

Leecher

Well guys guess what I'm having for supper tonight??

You guessed it..... Deer steak :canadian::thumbsup_anim:

IMGP1654.jpg

If you're wondering what the horns are doing in the sinc.... just soaking it into peroxyde to blanche the bones B) Got that tip from an taxidermist.... will not harm it and will get rid of the remaining flesh on the bones B)

Got this recipe from my good hunting partner and is one of my favorite times of the year until I ran out meat :D

The recipe is quite simple, first you must get a tupperware container for marinating.... you'll see in the pics what I'm taking about. It's got dimples on both top and bottom.

Ingredients: You will need a finely chopped oignon, two garlic cloves, a branch of celeri, vegetalble oil just enough to cover the dimple in the tupperware container, salt, pepper and garlic salt to your likings, soya sauce and worcestershire.

First of, chop finely the oignons, cerely and garlic. Add the vegetable oil so that it does not exceed the dimples in the container and the garlic, see pic below:

IMGP1655.jpg

Then add the worcestershire and soya sauce, not too much, see pic below:

IMGP1656.jpg

Then add the oignon and celeri, see pic below:

IMGP1657.jpg

Then add the deer steaks, see pic below:

IMGP1658.jpg

Cover the container with the top and flip it once so that all of the flavour of the ingredients gets on top of the steak. It should look like the following:

IMGP1659.jpg

Place the container in the fridge and keep on flipping the container for as long as you want. For me just about an hour but for animals that are older then 2 1/2 years old, keep marinating for 48 hours.

It is that simple and will taste great :canadian:B):D

Hope you give it a try

Leechman

You just keep rubbing it in .

Im starting to dislike you.LOL

Looks mighty fine.

two garlic cloves??????? I like the whole bulb myself.

:lol::lol: If that's the way your going to be..... then..... J/K

Did you notice on the first pic, the zip lock bag on the right hand side? it contains all of my garlic that i have harvested this summer.... half of a cube will equal a whole bulb but i just used 1/3 of it :P

Leechman

|nteresting recipe, but after all that prep, just how do you cook it????? or is this deer sushi????

tjsa the meat will not be sushi, cook it in a pan with butter and it will be tender and more and more tender the longer you marinade it. Remember wild meat is always is dry.... you will not have that with this recipe. Give it a try and let me know how you find it

Leechman

Might just have to give that a try........... but i have to agree with misfish and cph. I like a triaxle load of garlic lol

Since you just got a very nice buck, might be a time to try this recipe :thumbsup_anim:

If you like more garlic then I think it will be just fine :canadian:

What I just posted was the base of what any of you might want to try..... This one had to modify it to my likings :P

Again great job buckster on a very fine buck :clapping:

Leechman

Oh I know very well how dry it is, actually prefer it that way, but may not get the chance to try this as I have not gotten out yet this year.

The marinade recipe is saved though.

COOL my friend.... if you ever get out, please post a report on your results :canadian: will be waiting :thumbsup_anim:

That's real close to the way I do my beef steaks Jacques! :thumbsup_anim: ... except I use a Honey Teriyaki marinade and slap them on a 400*F grill and turn them one time only! :P

Glen, that really sounds good and appetizing but with wild meat must a least cook it til it's pink to the very least,

then you know it's safe to eat B)

Jacques

Well guys, just finished a couple of deer steaks with my daughter and wife and man it's so tender and tasty :canadian::P

Tasted just like the filets that I had when I killed it... mmmmmmm

For those that will have deer meat in the freezer this season, enjoy cause this only happens once a year :canadian:

Jacques

mmmmmmm looks real tasty Leechman..... I have tried and tried to prepare venison for myself, family and friends, but there is only one marinate that can satisfy my pallett.. MILK!! Marinated for 24 hours in the fridge cooked with onions fried in butter with lotsa garlic. Lookout!

mmmmmmm looks real tasty Leechman..... I have tried and tried to prepare venison for myself, family and friends, but there is only one marinate that can satisfy my pallett.. MILK!! Marinated for 24 hours in the fridge cooked with onions fried in butter with lotsa garlic. Lookout!

That sounds real good sturgman :thumbsup_anim: Thanks for sharing :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for that recipe leechman, must be good on the BBQ. One thing I usually do is that I make sure that my plates have been in the oven for a while, so they are nice and hot to put the steaks in . I find that if teh steaks get cold they get very tough. But if I can keep them warm they stay tender. I actually have cast iron plates with wooden holders that I keep just for venison.

Garlic is my birthstone!

I put it on Froot Loops!

A little red wine in the marinade will help ya out as well

You need some kind of acid to help break down the large fibers.

Also, try punching the crap out of the steaks while they are marinading in the bag... poor man's tenderizer!

Also, consider orange juice/rinds in yer next batch!

Some folks use soy sauce instead of salt!

Gotta go... feeling garlic deprived... must eat gyros!!!!!!!

HH