Where to Begin?

mpagnan

Good morning all,

As a newbie to stream/creek/river fishing where does one start in terms of location? I have the confidence in reading the water but it's useless if there's nothing to be had. I live in the GTA area and don't mind travelling some distance but nothing too far.

Thanks again,

Pags

Edited by Pags

Pags

Yes, it is difficult when one is starting. In Milton, there is Kelso Conservation that has a big pond and a creek. I do not know where the creek is – I was there once but that was about 25 years ago. That day was not productive and I have never been back. I also do not go to other Conservation areas today.

If I go to a new location, it is a good idea to get or buy a REALTOR MAP from a realtors office. These maps usually show clearly even small creeks. And, many here and elsewhere will inform you that you go the map and explore the areas because a lot of the fun is to explore and find the waters where you can fish.

Another reason why you may not get answers here (and elsewhere) is simple – who in their right mind would reveal a productive creek. There are lurkers here and elsewhere who do nothing but hope that someone makes a mistake and reveals a good productive fishing location.

Search the Internet. Most of the info is for conservation areas. You will find a lot of info about fishing. There is a lot of info but I find that most of the info is useless and worthless. To inform me that a lake has bass, perch and sunfish is garbage especially when one has to pay to get in.

I have lived in Ontario since 1981 and I am still exploring. I can give you a dozen excellent trout streams but they are all in New York State south of Montreal – streams that one would die for.

I fly fish for resident trout. I predict that the first major hatch will come in May – day 13-14 – as long as we do not get extreme weather conditions. Otherwise the 1st major hatch will come during the following week.

If you fly fish or fish only with artificial lures – all barbless, no bait and practice Catch & Release, you may come with me next May – subject that nothing bad happens before then. Just let me know.

carp-starter – good luck

Oh, by the way, I am just south of you - Oakville

Leechman

I like Gatineau Park. My largest bass has come out of Lac Phillipe – 20 inches.

I'd like to help you but I'm in the Saguenay region of Quebec. Up here, brook trout (which are actually char) are as numerous and common as perch in Lake Ontario. Went fishing in the Saguenay River for about 2 hours today. Caught my limit of 5 brook trout (12 to 16 inches) while bottom fishing from shore.

I guess, you will have to add more info. Are you fly fishing? What kind of trout are you fishing?

If I was a newbie in a certain area, I guess that the first place to haunt will be the local fishing stores. Then I would join the local fishing association. You can get a lot of info on stocked fish from the regional ministry of natural ressources. If you see a conservation officer, you can ask him for info too.

Maybe there are no trout in your area at all. Where I live, there are no bass, no sunfishes and no crappies.

Right now your best bet would be to read the regs. The general trout season has closed so you'll need to find the areas with extended trout fishing seasons. And they wouldn't extend the season for no reason ;). So those rivers would be a start for the rest of the season.

My experience - as short as it has been - is that trout fishing is as much about exploring, map reading, exploring, making contacts, and exploring as it is about wetting a line. 3 years ago, I would have told you that the softwater trout fishing in my area was marginal at best. This fall, I figure I have landed close to 100 rainbows and several OOS lakers (all released successfully), and I'm not a good trout fisherman. It doesn't help that trout can be so 'off and on': if you find a new stretch of stream that seems promising, but get no bites, that doesn't mean there are no trout there.

Get to know the folks chasing trout in your area, hang out in tackle shops, join a club....it will take awhile, but if you let those folks know that you are keen AND are going to protect the resource, the info will come to you gradually. 1 good tip from someone that knows where fish are can save you months, maybe years of searching on your own.