Simcoe fun, Banner day with PB fish

Cudz

Despite the rain and wind I managed to get out on Simcoe for some fall smallmouth action. A north wind allowed me to drift fish perfectly. Got on the water at 7:30 am and by 8:30 I had 3 already in the boat. Despite fishing for smallies for 20+ years, my PB until now has been about 4.5 pounds. Today that changed. I beat that PB 3 times. My first fish of the day was 5.3 pounds. My second fish was 3.2 pounds. My big fish of the day was a monster. Acording to my scale it was exactly 7.0 pounds. My last fish came about 1 hour later and weighed in at 5.8 pounds. All the fish were VERY fat. The pictures might not do them justice but they were very thick indeed. That big fish had a huge girth and it measured very close to 22". You have to be very aware of your bait at all times because all the strikes were very subtle. I lost 2 other fish as well.

All in all a very fun morning. I got off the water at 11:30 am.

3.2 pounder

novsmallie3.jpg

5.3 pounder

novsmallie5.jpg

5.8 pounder

novsmallie6.jpg

7.0 pounder

novsmallie7.jpg

7.0 again

novsmallie72.jpg

Oh meant to add a comment about yer bass boat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT REQUIRED. The bass boat that is.LOL

I cant get over that 7. SWEET.

Yeah it is pretty sweet. Almost 12' with about a 4' beam. Leaks like mad and is very tippy. Powered by a 6hp Yammy. Nice rig. lol. Got everything for free except the rod holders that I bought from BPS for $10. I also spent about $20 on stainless nuts and bolts and $5 for some wood to beef up the transom. I also have a homemade trailer (free and ungly) and the tow vehicle is a 1985 Ford f150 on its last legs. Who says teachers make too much money?

The pictures might not do them justice but they were very thick indeed. That big fish had a huge girth and it measured very close to 22".

7.0 pounder

novsmallie7.jpg

WOW, that has to be the biggest smallmouth i have ever seen, and yes those pictures do, do their justice.WTG man thats amazing!!

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Nice job man thats awesome. I never fished it when I lived 5 mins away, now I'm 2 hours away and struggle for gas money to tow the boat there

I know what you mean. I grew up here and never fished it either. I used to always make the trip to cook's bay. I moved back after being away for 15 years and now I find that the smallies are right here in my back yard. I wonder if they have always been here or is it a recent phenomenon? Anyone know if they always came in during the fall season even back in the late 80s early 90s?