WAAAY OT: Making Custom DVDs

charlesn

OK, this may seem like a trivial thing and may not be possible due to copyright laws and whatever, but I figured I'd ask where there appears to experts on just about anything and everything.

I own 4 Wonderpets DVDs. There are several episodes on each disc that are "favorites" of my daughter and also several that she won't watch for whatever reason. Is there a way using software and a DVD burner that I can merge them all on to one DVD for long road trips and also to prevent me having to always get up and change/find discs?

I bought the original DVDs, so I'd think it wouldn't be a copyright issue, but who knows.

Thanks,

Charles

I am not sure how you can do it that way...but I know how you could do it in questionable legality. lol

download a torrent downloader and check out btjunkie.org.

dl all the files to your computer, and use something like DIVX to burn them all to one disc

If you own the DVD's you are legally allowed to make a single copy without any issues.

You'd most likely be better off trying to put them on a dual layered disk instead of a single layered disk (8.5gb vs 4.7gb)

You might be able to use something like DVD Shrink to reduce the videos enough so that all 4 will fit, but with compression comes lowered quality.

Kemper, unless his portable DVD player plays Divx, that won't work, but if it does, then that would definitely be the way to go.

Edited by BillM

BillM has the right idea. I use DVD shrink....you can copy just the movie portion and leave out all the extra menus, features, games etc...

You will be able to get more episodes on a DVD that way. Compression (if you even need to do that) will reduce qualtiy and may cause some DVD players to skip...so beware of that. You may make a few drink coasters out of DVDs until you figure it all out.

3 suggestions:

1) the popular DVD Shrink option is a good one to try first....it is easiest.

2) Knock yourself out with http://doom9.net/. You will be able to pull/burn the content you want. High level of PITA

3) tell her to be happy with what she has because all you had when you were a kid was Hammy Hampster and Friends. This may cause crying or a funny look from your daughter.

forrest