got my buck tonite

rickster

Well fifteen minutes before legal hunting was ending he finally walked out for me.

I am sure I made a good shot but with light going fast I decided to leave him for the night and go

look for him in the morning.

Not the biggest one I had trail cam pics of but he is a nice buck none the less

here is a couple pics of him off my trail cam

buck66.jpg

buck61.jpg

Will post some pics tomorrow

Edited by rickster

It looked like a good hit and when it ran off its tail was down(always a good sign)

there was good blood where he was standing when i shot him but I always like to leave them for about an hour

before going to look for them.

supposed to get down to about minus 9 tonight so he will be ok til the morning

Didn't what to risk going in too early and jumping him and having him run deeper in the bush.

The area he headed to is not far from a huge muskeg swamp and I don't really want to drag him out of that mess.

forgive my ignorance.. I ask for my own education and in no way am I slamming you, but I have a couple questions..

Dont you have to place your tag on the animal as soon as it is down?

Will the guts not spoil the meat overnight?

what about other carnivores eating the carcass at night??

thanks for the info!

G

forgive my ignorance.. I ask for my own education and in no way am I slamming you, but I have a couple questions..

thanks for the info!

G

G, for your first question, yes the tag must be affixed on the animal as soon as it's shot down, if the animal stays put.

Second, the guts will not spoil the meat unless it overheats, must be gutted as soon as possible

Third, the only canivores that I would worry is the wolfes, coyotes and ravens / crows

Temps are dipping into the minus..... don't have to worry about the meat being spoiled.

Jacques

thanks for the info!

G

Gerritt

The regs state that the tag must be attached immediately after the kill and at the kill site. But if the animal is not dead yet and I spook him when trying to find him I may never see him. The tag will be on him the minute I find him in the morning.

With temps around minus 9 here tonight the meat should be fine.

I am just hoping nothing finds him tonight. I haven't seen many wolves and coyotes the past couple years and have not seen any tracks in the last week or so since we got our first snow. Keeping my fingers crossed though

thats a really nice deer, hope ya get him n the morn. gonna go for a doe or better yet a buck in tomorow, 1st time out in a while, shot the bow a little this evening, everything looks to be good. best of luck to all the guys going out in the morning.

jason

excellent call on this one . a pushed deer can run for hours , making a recovery almost impossible in poor light . let him find a quiet place to expire close by ,, undisturbed ,,is definitely the choice way to go. great deer . confidence is a good friend . you'll find him.

Well I went out this morning at first light and there he was.

Didn't go more than thirty yards into the bush and dropped among some cedars.

Called my brother and he came over with his atv and we pulled it out into the edge of the field for some

pics and the always cold job of gutting.

Here he is ..not the widest buck I have shot but he is the tallest and heaviest

DSCF1051.jpg

DSCF1053.jpg