%^#$%^!!@# picky walleye

forrest

Went the BOQ on Saturday 6am - 3pm and there were many of boats, rain and wind, 1-2 foot chop:

-it rained for the first few hours and winds were pretty strong from the west. 52 degree water and 1-2ft chop.

-45-30ft depths and marking lots of fish at different levels but not much bait fish. Where we saw bait balls there were few fish (hint?).

-3 rods trolled just NW from the ferry for 4 hours(1.2-1.7mph)...30, 20, 15ft Taildancers and others, chartruese, rainbow, minnow.. 5hours....nothing (1 hit?). we had planer boards with 80-100ft of line behind them.

-switched up to jigs and tried the bottom and middle for a couple hours....only got one on....it got away.

I think the biggest problem was the cold front moving in after the weather was so good lastweek.

BOQ is a long drive and I don't get to go out too often so I want a few good tips to make the next trip better on the fishing side.

Spare a few tips for a rookie?

Theres a poll too!: there was a poll but for what every reason I cant figure out why the "poll" feature is not working.

Edited by forrest

I hear you Forrest...went out there last fall, sharp cold front, high winds....didn't catch a thing over 2 days of fishing. From what I know about catching there, you did things right...trolling speed slow, depth seemed fine (I have the trolling bible that tells me how much line to have out...cant remember specifics right now), baits have all worked before.

I agree...the cold front likely turned them off....was anyone else having luck out there?

Hope you get them next time.

Well forrest a few questions first: what lb test line were you running??,also use 70-110 ft back of the in-lines in the morning,for the fish that are active and up top,then when traffic statrs being an issue watch your electronics very closely,then in the late morning go long !!!! i would think that was your problem right there,for a few weeks now i have been running as far back as 280ftback of the boards !!!!,and depending on your line that will seriously comprimise the depths your lures will run !!!! cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I sympathize with you.... How were other people doing? I never mind if I am out fishing and no one is catching anything either and I don't do very well. Since late spring things have been strange when it comes to fishing this year I find, mainly the big fish especially bass seem to be in different areas.

This fall I have been rainbow fishing 13 times now it took until the 10th to get a bite much less a fish. I would say that for 7 of those trips the conditions were what you BEG to have, but only 4 fish were caught on those days for 40 plus anglers. On Thursday the 6th I went again only because I had caught a hen on Tuesday finally and wanted to try using roe.... The conditions were crap too hot, water too slow and clear, wind from the wrong direction. I got there late after working all night and had to fish a part of the river that is all snags. I got 2 fish in 1 1/2 hrs and no snags. I only bothered fishing there because I was waiting for people to leave so I could move to the "good" spots LOL. The 30-40 people who got there at dawn to the best spots were being skunked. I am sure there were going just like me what the heck is happening here? It was just way too strange.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Well forrest a few questions first: what lb test line were you running??,also use 70-110 ft back of the in-lines in the morning,for the fish that are active and up top,then when traffic statrs being an issue watch your electronics very closely,then in the late morning go long !!!! i would think that was your problem right there,for a few weeks now i have been running as far back as 280ftback of the boards !!!!,and depending on your line that will seriously comprimise the depths your lures will run !!!! cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Good tips....I was not thinking so much about the other boats.

Traffic jams....yep at times there were a lot of boats in quarters that were too tight to run 200ft back (for me) and some other boat would have been over top of the line I think. I have time of during the weekdays and want to try again when most people are at work.

I was using 30 lb braid with a 17lb, 7ft mono leader. Lighter or different leader required?

forrest

Well Forrest that is what fishing on the BOQ is like sometimes they turn on and sometimes they just get lock jaw.

This is only my 4th yr fishing the BOQ in November the first yr I went in October 2005 not a fish in 4 days.At the time I did not use planer boards

I talked to some American guys and they taught me about planer boards and clip weights.

I went back in November 2005 fished out of Percher's brothers boat and caught one walleye 11 1/2 lbs I learned more from others as time went on.

2006 was my best year catching 4 beautiful walleye and then there was last yr not one fish in 4 days.

The only fish to come in my boat last year was GlennK's 6 pounder but I got to fish with CCMT we had a good little evening out.

In order to be successful in Quinte you have to put the time in be willing to try different things.

I sometimes use Muskie lures alot of folks say no way to 7 1/4 inch Yozuri's but they sometimes work for me.

One thing I can't figure out is when I bring my boat I don't have much success go in someone elses boat

and my luck is better.Forrest come and join us next weekend we will try and put you on fish.

Don't give up sooner or later you will catch one chunky walleye.

MTP

I know BOQ is know for trolling and usually deep in the fall (I've never fished there) but here on Georgian Bay when everyone is fishing deep, I fish in 3-12 feet of water up on top of shoals or close to drop offs or current, and have caught all my walleyes over 30" in less than 12 fow with lot's sitting up in 3 or 5 feet of water, night time and a hour before is always a good time to check shallow, sometimes you just get skunked no matter what you do.

Also when your under 15 feet of water I notice at least on my fishfinder that it won't mark fish as accurately, sometimes not at all, some of my best days have been when the fishfinder didn't mark a single fish all day and sometimes it's packed full and I get skunked. It's good to trust your electronics but just being on the best structure is just as important even if your not marking anything.

Edited by GbayGiant

Forrest you had a tough weekend on the BOQ and so did all of the regular anglers that come up here. Friday was a warm and sunny day and the walleye headed deep to get away from the sun light. We only landed a pike on Friday all day and fished it hard. The water temperatures varied from 52 degrees at the GAP to 48 in parts of Long Reach just prior to Thompson's Point. There were a lot of boats on Friday out there and only a couple of them landed walleye and the numbers were extremely low. This week is shaping up to be very promising and I am confident that everyone coming up next weekend for the G2G will do extremely well out there.

Most of the walleyes that were landed by anglers are being taken at Keith's Shoal and the Bat Cave. These locations are just east of the Glenora Ferry and on the south shore. The next spot that is producing is at the funnel area of Thompson's Point and Sherman's Point where it funnels into Long Reach. Work the funnel areas where walleye have to head to in order to stage at the mouth of the rivers and you will do well. The south side of the GAP has a ton of fish there and they are in approximately 50-60 feet down in 90-110 FOW. You have to get down top the 50 foot level to be successful. Dimpsy's, Torpedo Divers, and down riggers will work best for you. If you are rigging make sure that you have at least 30-40 feet of line out before you attach it to the ball and send it down 50 feet. The GAP is a great place to get your trophy fish and the walleye there right now are in the 10-12 lb range. The big hawgs are still not in yet and you will see a huge increase in activity in that area beginning anytime now. With the full moon phase coming in you know that it means walleye time.

Whenever you are thinking of coming up again Forrest send me a pm or stop in on your way by and I will show you on a map what is happening in the area. I will be pleased to inform you where the fish are being aggressive and what baits they are attacking. I would also use the largest baits that you have in your tackle box, just lately I have been getting them on Jointed XRap's 13's as those lures seem to imitate large shads. The walleye are following the gizzard shads into the Bay and the gizzard shads are rather a large bait. Remember that these walleyes are migrating from the lake and their diet consists of large bait fish.

Hope this info is of help to some of you and enjoy your trip up here.

Best regards,

Sam

Edited by DT10Sam

DONT FEEL BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracker and i went out this weekend also.....

launched at the ferry and the waves were so big they were coming in over the bow..

float suits are NOT water proof nor are they water resistant---lol

tracker was in the front of my 14.5' aluminium, with his back to the waves.

i was in the back getting a full frontal of the waves.

from my toque to my shoes i was soaked.(damn the water was COLD)

Tracker found out just how cold it was when the water ran down his back and into the nether region.....

the look was priceless:::

we slowly made our way the the narrows to get out of the winds, or atleast the waves.

we trolled dead slow, when the winds picked up we trolled faster--lol

we used tail dancers, reef runners .

planner boards and flat lining

marked lots of arches on the finder

when it got dark we gave up and headed in.

not even a single hit.

the only thing we got was WET

that makes 3 years running that we have fished quinte and i have still yet to catch a damn fish!!

feel better now forrest??????

we are going up this weekend to the G2G and hopefully i will get atleast 1

just so i can say i got my quinte cherry popped :worthy:

if i do im sure every one on the lake will hear it..

well atleast our 12volt coffee mugs will keep the timmies hot.

THE PRICELESS LOOK:::::::

don_see__s_boobs.jpg

Edited by skeeter

DONT FEEL BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracker and i went out this weekend also.....

launched at the ferry and the waves were so big they were coming in over the bow..

float suits are NOT water proof nor are they water resistant---lol

tracker was in the front of my 14.5' aluminium, with his back to the waves.

i was in the back getting a full frontal of the waves.

from my toque to my shoes i was soaked.(damn the water was COLD)

Tracker found out just how cold it was when the water ran down his back and into the nether region.....

the look was priceless:::

we slowly made our way the the narrows to get out of the winds, or atleast the waves.

we trolled dead slow, when the winds picked up we trolled faster--lol

we used tail dancers, reef runners .

planner boards and flat lining

marked lots of arches on the finder

when it got dark we gave up and headed in.

not even a single hit.

Now thats a funny pic skeeter.Was that when Don got some water inside the suit.

Send me a pic of your boat so i can spot you next weekend and you know I am not hard to locate dressed in yellow :whistling:

the only thing we got was WET

that makes 3 years running that we have fished quinte and i have still yet to catch a damn fish!!

feel better now forrest??????

we are going up this weekend to the G2G and hopefully i will get atleast 1

just so i can say i got my quinte cherry popped :worthy:

if i do im sure every one on the lake will hear it..

well atleast our 12volt coffee mugs will keep the timmies hot.

THE PRICELESS LOOK:::::::

Its like I am very sick and every one is coming to help me feel better, it brings a few tears to my eye....I am touched at the tender good advice and stories of misery (skeeter) lol!

After Skeeter's story I am not banging my head against the wall wonder what was out there...massive waves would have had me scared, wet and hurling chunks.

If the wife lets me out I will give it another shot wed (calm weather or on the wet weekend with the OFC crowd. :clapping:

you guys are great. thank you.

forrest