Kingpin Centre Pin

mark02

Hi Solo. I'm interested in knowing what is your favourite centrepin reel? I've been reading your posts over the years and you're a very accomplished steelheader. Your thoughts ...

I find it hard to fish with anything less than a 5" reel anymore which limits my options.

That said of the 5" reels I do own the top 3 would be 1.fully ported Mykiss, 2. 5" Angling Specialties and 3. Kingpin

The Mykiss's startup is the best and it's incredibly light. Problem is they're somewhat hard to find...

I've got another custom 5" reel currently on the way. Guy in Ohio made a small batch of 30 and the spec's seem pretty darn good so I'm cautiously optimistic it'll be a good one.

I find it hard to fish with anything less than a 5" reel anymore which limits my options.

That said of the 5" reels I do own the top 3 would be 1.fully ported Mykiss, 2. 5" Angling Specialties and 3. Kingpin

The Mykiss's startup is the best and it's incredibly light. Problem is they're somewhat hard to find...

I've got another custom 5" reel currently on the way. Guy in Ohio made a small batch of 30 and the spec's seem pretty darn good so I'm cautiously optimistic it'll be a good one.

This is slightly off topic, but Solo, why do you prefer 5" centerpins to others??? The only cp I have used is my Islander which is 4.5" and I am curious the difference in diameter makes in performance and weight.

Thanks Mike,

Paul

This is slightly off topic, but Solo, why do you prefer 5" centerpins to others??? The only cp I have used is my Islander which is 4.5" and I am curious the difference in diameter makes in performance and weight.

Thanks Mike,

Paul

A 5" diameter reel will generally retrieve more line per rotation of the spool than a 4" or 4.5" reel. Good for catching up with fast running steel at the end of the line.

Fell in love with the Series 1 fully ported the first time I picked it up ..... Awesome reel, tolerance is golden and the startup is unbelievable for a 5" , well 4 7/8" but close enough..... There are very few, if any 5" reels that are as light as the new Series 1 ... Now if mine would just hurry up and get here from the UK , already !!!

Fell in love with the Series 1 fully ported the first time I picked it up ..... Awesome reel, tolerance is golden and the startup is unbelievable for a 5" , well 4 7/8" but close enough..... There are very few, if any 5" reels that are as light as the new Series 1 ... Now if mine would just hurry up and get here from the UK , already !!!

Got out this weekend with Dave, he was talking about the Kingpin and from what I heard it seems like a sweet rig