Lest We Forget (NF)

mistyriver1

I know it's not till Tuesday but I thought I would put this post up now. Some of you may remember these pics as this has kind of become an annual thing for me. My Dad was a WW II vet. He never talked about it much until the last few months before he died in August 2005. I miss him and my Mom of course at Christmas and on their birthdays but rememberance day is always a bit tougher, although it is getting easier each year. I am very proud of him to this day. These are some pics from one of his albums that I had scanned. I don't know the stories behind most of them. My dad was part of the Day plus 3 invasion and spent 2 years overseas.

Here's a newspaper article from his hometown from 1944.

File0020redo-1.jpg

My Dad drove a transport carrier.

File0017redo.jpg

File0014redo.jpg

This picture I believe is from Belgium and is probably in the earlier time he was over there as he was still a private then.

File0016.jpg

This is one of my Dad's buddies. I'm not sure what city it is in but you can see the Prisoner of War sign behind him.

File0013.jpg

A couple of shot down aircraft..

File0012redo.jpg

File0011Redo.jpg

I really like this shot....Dad on his Harley :thumbsup:

File0007.jpg

File0015redo.jpg

His medals and badges which are proudly displayed in my cabinet.

106_0587-1.jpg

Our last time fishing together at Lovesick Lake in fall of 2004.

dadandi.jpg

God Bless Dad.

Edited by mistyriver1

He never talked about it much until the last few months before he died in August 2005.

I had an uncle that was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge during WWII. Never talked about it much and I often regret asking him to share his stories. He's long gone now, so I really missed out on something there .. I'm sure. I'm sure our veterans could tell some reall horror stories about their experiences. Give our veterans all the honor and glory they so richly deserve.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Not a bad idea at all. Tell them while you still have the chance. someday it will be too late.

I'm sure he'll chug along until he's in his nineties, defiant... to the end.

I'm still gonna tork his head though.

Hats off to all our dads. May their strength and courage find their way into our hearts as well.

cheers lads

HD

I had an uncle that was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge during WWII. Never talked about it much and I often regret asking him to share his stories. He's long gone now, so I really missed out on something there .. I'm sure. I'm sure our veterans could tell some reall horror stories about their experiences. Give our veterans all the honor and glory they so richly deserve.

Yeah, I totally understand. My grandfather never spoke of it...and honestly i think he suffered from "shell shock" because he showed a lot of the signs of it, or at least from the stories my father told me.

My great uncle never talked about it either, but he never saw action. He was a RCAF dispatcher in India.

Do not feel bad about not coaxing the stories from your uncle. A lot of the old sweats just couldn't bring themselves around to talk about the wars. My uncle Bob didn't talk to me about the trenches til I was 18-19 and a reservist. Every sentence was a struggle. Even at 90, faces of his mates and memories of that living hell still haunted him. He told us about fighting in the gas, the death, the stench, but we never knew about the "gongs" he had been awarded. First time we saw them was when we were gathering up his things after he had gone.