More Browns & Steelhead Today

solopaddler

As a lot of you guys know I just moved to Grimsby last summer.

I think I'm starting to like it even more than I already do :)

It sure is nice to have a spot to fish close to home.

Anyhow, I headed out again this morning and managed a bunch more fish. Surprisingly all the browns were males (at least the ones that I caught).

Bottom bouncing in the heavy current takes a bit of feel, and you've got to get the amount of lead just right.

Too little and you're not reaching the fish. Too much and you're constantly getting hung up.

When you've got it just right you can feel your pencil lead ticking bottom lightly...

Sometimes the hits are very light, this morning most of the hits were savage...lots-o-fun!

Here's the pic's I did manage to get. Admitedly the shots of the fish laying on the pier aren't exactly aesthetically pleasing, but whatya you gonna do? :dunno:

The steelhead was mint, very chromy and quite acrobatic.

PortDNov2008003.jpg

PortDNov2008001.jpg

PortDNov2008002.jpg

Now it's off to work. On tap for today: tying a bunch of roe bags for Friday :whistling::P .

Cheers, Mike

Jeez...have you got nothing better to do every day then fish? Wait...I take that back!

Great stuff Mike...I've never tried bottom bouncing for them before...care to be a teacher to a student willing to learn yet again??? First it was float fishing...then trolling worm harnesses...then onto jigging techniques...may as well add bottom bouncing to the list!!! At least I pay attention and retain a lot of what I hear!!!

Jeez...have you got nothing better to do every day then fish? Wait...I take that back!

Great stuff Mike...I've never tried bottom bouncing for them before...care to be a teacher to a student willing to learn yet again??? First it was float fishing...then trolling worm harnesses...then onto jigging techniques...may as well add bottom bouncing to the list!!! At least I pay attention and retain a lot of what I hear!!!

im home all weekend cliff and will be doing some bottom bouncing myself, I have everything if you are looking for a fishin partner

and solo, great fishin

Hey Solo...

What are you "bottom bouncing" with... and how? Whats the bait? .... unless its a secret... LOL!

13' Rainshadow float blank rated 6-10 built into a spinning rod. (My bottom bouncing machine)

Spinning reel loaded with 15lb Power Pro tied to a 3-way swivel. Chunk of surgical tubing lashed to the bottom swivel with a piece of pencil lead shoved into it.

Tippet length varied from 2-5'. Down there fluoro tippet is a recipe for trouble 'cause it gets so abraded from the zebra mussels.

Because of that I use 6lb Maxima Ultragreen.

#12 Kamasan sedge hook and nickel to quarter sized roe bags tied in charteuse with no floaters in them (although sac's with floaters would've likely worked even better).

Cast across and slightly upstream, close your bail and let your bait swing past and below you ticking bottom all the way.

As mentioned strikes are usually obvious.

Man up solo, I bottom bounce with my pin!

okay not usually, but I have done it on occasion with the same results as a spinner

Maybe east of T.O. ....

Bigger rivers it's not easy to cast as far as you can with a spinning reel (without sidecasting and putting horrendous twist in your line).

Plus the braid is key. Unless you run it on your pin which I wouldn't recommend (it freezes), you're at a disadvantage.

You feel everything with braid.

Great fish Solo, another nice outing.

Question for experts, is there a difference in hits when you are using roe and worms.

I fished for browns ( bottom bouncing ) using worms before, and its fairly tricky with rocky bottom when your weight is bouncing off rocks it can feel like fish hits. Now would it feel any different on your finger when you are using roe, like couple of small hits or one big one?

If i am not making any sense i am sorry lol

Maybe east of T.O. ....

Bigger rivers it's not easy to cast as far as you can with a spinning reel (without sidecasting and putting horrendous twist in your line).

Plus the braid is key. Unless you run it on your pin which I wouldn't recommend (it freezes), you're at a disadvantage.

You feel everything with braid.

I was just pokin fun, spinning is definatly at the advantage. I actually am in the works of building a bouncin only set up. I find my 13'6" a little too whippy, kinda like casting a sunfish on a hook into the wind with a 13 foot piece of spaghetti.

I was just pokin fun, spinning is definatly at the advantage. I actually am in the works of building a bouncin only set up. I find my 13'6" a little too whippy, kinda like casting a sunfish on a hook into the wind with a 13 foot piece of spaghetti.

Sorry that went right over my head :) . (sounds like we're on the same wavelength)

You can bet ill be out all weekend.

Actually Ill probably be bouncin' because the rivers have got to be gin at the moment

Rain is starting tomorrow afternoon and sticking around throughout the weekend .... get out and catch'em on the rise !!! I learned a very good lesson on fishing "the rise" a few weeks back at Bville .... Timing is everything

Rain is starting tomorrow afternoon and sticking around throughout the weekend .... get out and catch'em on the rise !!! I learned a very good lesson on fishing "the rise" a few weeks back at Bville .... Timing is everything

Just checked my forecast and its telling me no rain till saturday morning. Weird.

Well if she pours ill be fishin the rise (although I am fresh out of roe, which really sucks) and if not ill be bouncin with worms i guess

Anyhow, I headed out again this morning and managed a bunch more fish. Surprisingly all the browns were males (at least the ones that I caught).

The steelhead was mint, very chromy and quite acrobatic.

PortDNov2008002.jpg

I was there yesterday afternoon....(left work early) :whistling: and all were males too!!

Only problem was I caught 2 of the biggest ugliest Salmon youv'e ever seen and 1 beautiful looking brown

(all on streamers)

Beautiful fish :thumbsup_anim:

Streamerguy

Okay -- I'm still trying to figure out the rig --- the bottom of the three way swivel, in particular. You jam surgical tubing onto the swivel, and wedge it there with lead..what dangles down? A pencil weight? I suppose how heavy depends on the current...are you picky on the length of the line going to the weight?