Lake St John (near Rama)

Cudz

I'd really like to know more about this "ministry putting in the chemical". The two locals I've talked to know nothing of it and they've been here for life. When I mentioned this they went ape because they usually are informed of such things.

Is there a source you can quote for this lovetofish?

Thanks!

Michael

i've been fishing this lake for the last 5 or 6 years... sinse the ministry put the green chemical in to cut back on the weeds, fishing hasn't been the same.

I heard about the ministry doing this every so often within thae past few years on some lakes, trying to control weed growth. I was told by some resdidence of Sturgeon lake that the minstry expect property owner to plow away too much weeds growing outside their lake front property, or they can hire professionals to do that.

I know the lake st. john inside out, when I got there last August 2009, the weeds had crumpled up so bad in some areas, where two years prior, it used to contain the healtiest weeds I have ever seen in any lake.

Kerry, I know they are not algae bloom usually seen at rice lake, they are definitely chemicals. They are liquid not small mini particles floating on top of the water. The water was minty green, almost zero visibility.

• 1 month later...

I see the comments about the ministry adding in chemicals to kill the weeds. I have had a cottage on the lake for 11 years and every year the fishing seems to get worse. As far as the ministry I am not aware of them adding anything to the lake. The cottage association meet with the ministry last year after we had 2 bad years of flooding and there was talk about the weeds but they have never said anything about adding anything to the water. People even suggested to them ways of trying to help with the weeds and they said they were not prepared to do anything at this time. They said the fish population is very good but, I find it harder to catch the fish. Could be that they are not hungry. Also if you read the ministry guide to eating sport fish you will see that it shows the lake being very healthy. The algae bloom happens every year and depending on how hot it is, how much rain and wind there is we dictate how long it lasts.

Not sure if this helps anyone.

Stephan is a soap factory. Had the water tsted myself because of all the rumors. The same guys who test my cottage well water. Water and fish are fine fom there. No worries. Was a spill from a previous plant but nothing seroius. No have to worry about glowing in the dark or anything.

so ..the fish would be cleaner?.. yes? :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of fishing this lake in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone willing to offer some hot spots or tips about the lake?

Is there anything I need to watch out for with the boat? I see an island on the northern part of the lake, but that's it.

Anything is appreciated.

I'm thinking of fishing this lake in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone willing to offer some hot spots or tips about the lake?

Is there anything I need to watch out for with the boat? I see an island on the northern part of the lake, but that's it.

Anything is appreciated.

Your safe with the boat. Most of that lake is like a bowl where it drops to 17-25 feet within 20-40meters from shore. I like fishing the northern islands because the structure is so nice...they don't always hold fish tho.wallbash.gif The are some HUGE crappie there, like I've never seen before.

Your safe with the boat. Most of that lake is like a bowl where it drops to 17-25 feet within 20-40meters from shore. I like fishing the northern islands because the structure is so nice...they don't always hold fish tho.wallbash.gif The are some HUGE crappie there, like I've never seen before.

Awesome. Thank you

• 1 year later...

No fish in this lake except 3 eyed ones - very shallow & rocky - water very dirty so you can't see the rocks - no boat launches - getting near it will make you ITCH! :whistling:

Really - it's true - I wouldn't do anything nasty just to keep the pressure off, nope, not me, I wouldn't do that at all! Why would I - it's not like I've made a pledge to myself to get out this year unlike last year, nope not at all! Besides - it's too far for me to travel!

You can trust me - after all I am a fellow angler!

Michael

No fish in this lake except 3 eyed ones - very shallow & rocky - water very dirty so you can't see the rocks - no boat launches - getting near it will make you ITCH! :whistling:

Really - it's true - I wouldn't do anything nasty just to keep the pressure off, nope, not me, I wouldn't do that at all! Why would I - it's not like I've made a pledge to myself to get out this year unlike last year, nope not at all! Besides - it's too far for me to travel!

You can trust me - after all I am a fellow angler!

Michael

:rofl2: