Mountain Lion sighted in Pickering

sharper

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_28728.aspx

Durham Cops Issue Mountain Lion Warning After Sightings In Pickering

Sunday November 2, 2008

CityNews.ca Staff

Most everybody loves a cute pet, but there were reports of a much bigger cat on the prowl in Pickering Sunday and local residents most certainly did not want to feed this one.

Durham Police issued the warning concerning a mountain lion after two reports of sightings during recent weeks.

"The first incident involved an adult on Oct. 16 and the second was on Oct. 29 a 12-year-old boy reported that he had seen a mountain lion," confirmed Sgt. Jim Griepsma.

The mere possibility of the large and potentially dangerous animal approaching schools or private homes prompted letters home for students in the area, leaving parents like Steve McCafferty understandably on edge.

"If it was to come across any of the kids or even myself, it could potentially have killed us," he lamented.

"It is a large animal, I'm pretty sure it could do some serious damage."

Mountain lion attacks are considered fairly rare in Canada, though they can certainly be fatal when they do occur.

The police warning is especially pertinent for dog owners, since the large cats are often drawn to the furry pets.

And in the rare and unfortunate event that you encounter the wild animal, you're advised to make yourself as large as possible and rather than running, back away slowly, calling 911 at your nearest opportunity.

Things like this are part of life in the Northwest of the Province. I have personally seen a Mountain Lion. In fact I chased it down the trail to get a better look at it. Bears are a dime a dozen. Really, there's nothing to fret about.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was someone's escaped pet. Back in the late 90's I remember hearing about cougar sightings (of the feline type) in the Hwy 7 and Mccowan road area in Markham. If you're going to be hiking in areas where cougars have been sighted, I'd recommend going along with someone...Especially someone who runs slower than you.

I saw one once near Pontypool about 40 years ago and there was a black one spotted several times in this area a number of years ago. The one in this area was seen crossing the tote road north of Massey and a couple of days later, it was seen crossing hwy 108 north of Elliot Lake. They say that they don't come in black but the witnesses say that's what they saw.

Dan C. I agree, Bear, moose, cats, no big deal, just another part of nature.

Edited by Bob