Ever fished in Cuba?

Sinker

I booked a Deep sea trip from the resort but...it turned out to be more like a tour up the coast

It was alright.

First time we went out...the captain was drunk, and never slowed down enough to let the baits fall.

We "tried" to get him to slow down, but he didn't understand us, got agetated and basicly took us home.

We complained back at the resort, and got a second trip out with a better captain.

Caught a few Cuda's but nothing to write home about.

I booked a Deep sea trip from the resort but...it turned out to be more like a tour up the coast

It was alright.

First time we went out...the captain was drunk, and never slowed down enough to let the baits fall.

We "tried" to get him to slow down, but he didn't understand us, got agetated and basicly took us home.

We complained back at the resort, and got a second trip out with a better captain.

Caught a few Cuda's but nothing to write home about.

Do you remember the name of the outfitter.......I'll keep him on the "not to do" list!!

I've looked into the hunting a little bit......all I can say is $$$$$$$. I don't have any of that! :whistling:

Sinker

I've never been - but years ago I came across an article written about a lake in Cuba where 10lb+ bass were the norm (catch several in a day), and you would see atleast one substantially more than that in a day of fishing. I've been googling but can't find it again. I'll see if maybe I saved it somewhere and post back if I can come across it.

B

Edit: Okay so scratch that - can't find the article, but apparently EVERY lake produces largemouth bass like this.

http://www.cubatravelusa.com/bass-fishing.htm

Whatever you end up fishing for, make sure you get pictures!

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by Bicephalic

That's a great site to check.

I stayed on Cayo Coco and took about a 1 hour taxi ride to La Redonda for some largie fishing. I landed a lot of 2-3 pounders casting a power worm into the flooded mangroves, landed a couple 4's and my dad lost a 9+ on a rattle trap. All the guides said in very broken english "Very tough day!" I'd recommend La Redonda, ask an agent at your resort about La Redonda, they'll hook u up. If you have old rods, bring them for the kids, families fish the shore of that lake with sticks to catch dinner. We brought down 6 old spincast rods and gave them out ... like giving them life, they will surely appreciate it, you'll feel good about it too. Good luck!

Thanks guys!!

I was more interested in fishing salt water......but a world record bass would be OK I guess..........LOL.

I'd still rather hit the salt, so if anyone else has been and can reccomend an outfitter, it would be appreciated!

I'm assuming I can bring a rod and just fish there on my own? I'd love to find out how that all works......can't find much info on fishing regs there.....

Sinker

Hey Sinker,

I've been 5 times and fished every trip. Where abouts are you headed? There are lots of charters available and you can easily get into cuda's, kingfish, wahoo, dorado... or shore fish for bones, tarpon and a whole lot more. Are you bringing your own gear?

Thanks Lew!!

Hey Sinker,

I've been 5 times and fished every trip. Where abouts are you headed? There are lots of charters available and you can easily get into cuda's, kingfish, wahoo, dorado... or shore fish for bones, tarpon and a whole lot more. Are you bringing your own gear?

We're headed to holguin. I'm not sure about bringing gear or not, can't find the info I need. Can you reccomend an outfitter?

Edited by Sinker

I haven't fished in Cuba, but I've done my share of fishin' in the Caribbean and on saltwater charters. If you want to do a charter, go down to the docks when the boats come in and hang around. Look at the catches the boats bring in, a lot of charters are just boat rides... the trolling charters are notorious for this! See if you can find a bottom fishing charter for Snapper, Grouper, and Amberjack (the AJ's will pull your arms out of the sockets!). A good bottom fishing charter will troll (high speed) out to the bottom fishing spot.

There probably aren't any saltwater regs down there, contact your resort. There are still states in the U.S that still don't have saltwater regs or license requirements.

If you decide to take some tackle, take your heaviest spinning gear (saltwater fish are big and tough!). Take large white X-Raps and silver spoons for 'Cudas and Tarpon. Take 1-2 oz. egg sinkers, swivels, and and assortment of hooks up to 3/0 size for surf casting. Use shrimp or squid for bait. Try to catch small fish first and then use them for live bait for 'cuda, Tarpon, Snapper, and Grouper/Hinds.

Beware of these fish!!!

http://www.sportfishingkeywest.com/catch_d...pion%20fish.JPG

They have a very nasty sting!!!

Hope this helps!

That was my destination of my first trip to Cuba, over 15 years ago. I don't remember the name of the charter I went with but there are several around. The price is about what you'd find here i.e. $100 to $150 per person. I found that if you get talking with a few of the folks around the resort, you should have no problem getting 3 others to join you. I know you can get cuda's like nothing there because that's all I caught my first time there.

I have been there several times and my suggestion would be to talk to a few of the locals ( the resort is a good place to start, most of the staff speak English quite well). Try to stay away from the "Charters organized by the resort" they are $$$$$. If you take a bit of time you can find some local fishermen that will be happy to take you out for a fraction of what the "charters" will cost you and you will probably get a better variety of fish and have a lot more fun.

The inland fishing is fantastic, I have a friend that has gone down there many times and always goes bass fishing, he loves it! I have fished both from the shore and piers and had a wonderful time. All you have to do is wade out into the surf and cast a line, as already suggested, shrimp are a good place to start.

Take packages of chiclets with you, (they can't buy them there), fishing line, some lures, hooks, they are the most appreciative people in the world!

Take some packages of Pringles for yourself for snacks, they travel well and you won't find a lot of snack foods in Cuba. Apart from that, relax and enjoy, I have traveled a lot and Cubans are the warmest, friendliest, most honest people I have ever met!

I have not fished Cuba, but have fished in the carribean (Grenada, Antigua, Barbados and the British Virgin Islands). I have seen those "fishing the flats" shows when they are in Cuba and those areas look pretty similar to the ones i have fished elsewhere. Whilst i would love to take a deepsea charter for the experience...they are always way over my budget. Instead i have had the time of my life fishing mangrove flats...you can catch Trevali, ( member of the Jack family) Permit, Barracuda, Shark (usually small white tip reef sharks) some big snapper sometimes, tarpon, snook....i even caught large stingrays while trying small crab baits i collected from under rocks on shore. I used light spinning gear with a good wire trace and anything from topwater poppers to live baitfish caught myself with sabiki rigs from docks and off the rocks. ALL THESE FISH FIGHT LIKE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE>>>EVEN THE SO CALLED "SMALL ONES". Have a blast if ya go, i'm only slightly....tiny bit jealous :whistling: ...lol...look forward to seeing the posts, will be a welcome winter warmer.

dont take your best fishing gear unless you can keep it with you at all times..

svukavics ,rowingsunny and i went down last year and they both had their rods go missing..

definately get in touch with Crazyhook, he gave me a plethora of info..

definately take extra cheap tackle with you.. they have very little down there and are eager to bargain with you.. if you can, take a bunch of rod guides.. they are like gold to the fishermen down there..

I must admit, I wasn't expecting this much info on Cuba!!

This site blows my mind everytime I ask for anything!!

Tonyb.......thanks for posting that report, its got me pumped up bigtime now!!!!

And everyone else.......I'll post a report on my return!!

Thanks again,

Sinker