Buckhorn, Lower Buckhorn or Pigeon

fishinfool

Buckhorn, Lower Buckhorn or Pigeon.

I am going with a couple of friends on Sunday and we are trying to decide which of these three areas would be the most productive for Muskie.

Also, I don't have a lot of Muskie gear so I am planning on using my Chronarch spooled up with 80 lb PP on a MH V-Rod, will this be enough?

I only have about two or three large spinnerbaits and a couple of big inline baits so with a little help from all you Muskie guys, I was hoping you could tell me which bait you would buy if you could only have two.

I was also thinking of getting some big huge minnows, any thoughts?

Please let me know.

Thanks

SS

I don't know the lake, but at this time of year you may want to put away the inline spinners. They go too fast.

If you use spinnerbaits, use as large as you can and run them as slow as you can go with the blades still spinning.

You might try big crankbaits like the 10 inch jake/grandma, believer, or anything else of serious size that will get down deep . Troll slow....2.5-3.5 mph.

Also -- minnows....you risk killing the musky unless you have (and know how to use) a quick strike rig. Even then, minnows are generally crap.

Plus, its hard to cover lots of water with bait. Lures are better.

If you're going to buy anything for this time of year, i'd go with....

- large perch believer (my fave of this group)

- 9" perch or silver/gold/black grandma (serious musky guys use 13" at t his time of year that's too big for your gear)

- black or white bulldawg.

Guest steel'n'esox

I to would troll the north end of Pigeon as PT said 10 inch Jakes would be fine on your setup, as well as 10 inch Believers. Keep your eyes on your set up, if your using rod holders as you do not have the audible line out clicker, also find out how much line you can reel our pickup with one pass of the pawl, that way if you hit fish, you can duplicate, which will take out the guess work. Also this time of year sleep in, you do not need to be their at 1st light 10oclock on is fine, which should allow the water temp to rise a little. Good luck PS dont forget your release tools

North end of Pigeon, troll open water, 10" Jake.

Would have to agree with others on the north end of Pigeon as being best choice.

Like others suggested try jointed Believers, Depth Raiders, Grandmas, Jakes, etc...

Perch pattern or green/ chartreuse has been best.

The last few larger musky i've caught were in open water just off mid- lake humps.

Hope this helps,

ehg

Also this time of year sleep in, you do not need to be their at 1st light 10oclock on is fine, which should allow the water temp to rise a little. Good luck PS dont forget your release tools

Not sure bout that statement....I caught that 53" ski last Sunday at 8:15AM, 15 minutes after I got my line in the water :whistling: ......then it got quiet for the rest of the morning!!....While i was boating back to the house, I thought that maybe I should have gone out a lot earlier :wallbash:

I'll definately be on the river tomorrow morning by 6:30....the clocks go back tonight so it'll be light out by then :clapping:

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter