Selling boat need help

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Well I have started working and have less time to fish now that my weekends are occupied by other things.

The boat was in my father's name. He passed away...My mother transfered the plates of the trailer to her name but how do I transfer the boat in her name or mine, or can I sell the boat as is? I also want to know the actual year of the boat and engine since it is not specified anywhere.

year of the motor is in the model number, and year of the boat should be on the 'VIN" plate on the transom as well..as for sale..if you want to sell it in your name, just get your mom to sign the ownership over to you I am pretty sure

THanks but what ownership? There is only the trailer ownership and a pleasure craft license.

A bill of sale is only required to sell your boat.

When u sell the boat just make a simple bill of sale stating your name,licence # and price.For Eg." I Johnny Bass sold 14ft boat Serial#xxxxxx to Mr.Abc EFg for $xxx.Selling as is. Your Signature"

Just give the pleasure craft licence to buyer in case if they ask.

Ask the guy who is buying the boat to fill out the Pleasure Craft Application form and go with bill of sale to Service Canada and he should not have problem.

A pleasure craft application form can be downloaded from http://www.tc.gc.ca/wwwdocs/Forms/84-0172_0712-03_BO.pdf

Also if it is old boat then u dont need to even write actuall serial# & year.When buyer fills the form just mark it as Homemade.

last time i registered boat which was from 1960's.I some how got the name and serial # & wrote on the from but the Service Canada guy didnt bother writing in system and marked it as home made.

I have done 2 times and i had no problem.

thx

Edited by New Angler

You have to go to service ontario and get the boat registered. Your lucky you haven't been asked for it yet. Its a substantial fine for not having it on board at all times.

You'll need to get your mom to do it I guess, since its in her name.

The Trailer ownership, she signs over to you, and you pay the tax on what you paid for it when you change it over at the MTO office.

Sinker

You have to go to service ontario and get the boat registered. Your lucky you haven't been asked for it yet. Its a substantial fine for not having it on board at all times.

You'll need to get your mom to do it I guess, since its in her name.

The Trailer ownership, she signs over to you, and you pay the tax on what you paid for it when you change it over at the MTO office.

Sinker

if you wana save on taxes on trailer just register as home made trailer.The info u will need is length,# of excel&weight. Just say aprox weight.

to add to Sinker's comments...you can probably just get your mom to "gift" you the trailer..you can do that as a one shot deal amoungst imediate family and in-laws

oh as for "ownership" I kind of took it for granted that you would figure it was the pleasurecraft craft liscence you get when you register a boat :Gonefishing:

What kind of a boat is it? I/O, or an outboard, length, hp?

As for the trailer, your mother can gift it to you, meaning you will pay not tax. If you register it as homemade, there may be some kind of a safety you need to get prior to. I know if you bring a trailer in from the states, it has to pass a safety before you can plate it in Ontario.

Whoa guys, JB is not buying the boat and trailer he's selling it. Transfer trailer from your mother to new owner, if you transfer to you even for a $ I don't know for sure but they might want to tax you on the value of trailer and there is no need to transfer to your name. As for the boat the easiest thing to do is check where it says sellers signature and I'm sure if you check your Dad has already signed it, if not check again.

Or someone at Canada services must know how to do the transfer.

The Service Canada rep only sees the bill of sale and Pleasure Craft Application from the buyer.if they boat is old and they dont care much.

Since the boat was his father and now he is deceased so boat becomes automatically son's i guess.So no need to transfer or anything.

Just write the bill of sale putting your name and that's it.Buyer should not have problem.

I have registered 2 very old boat and i had no problem.

Johnny is not giving up fishing? I heard he just bought his own private lake and does not need any boat from now on.

Government only want to make sure the buyer will pay their share of taxes, and if no one complain that a boat was stolen and resold, they will register anything.

Edited by bassfighter

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds good. I will put it for sale very soon. And even sell the Truck. Fishing in your boat next year sounds great Al. I don't think I will buy another boat next year but am considering buying another boat the following year. Right now I need to work and make money. Anyways thanks for the help. Rich, shoot me a PM and make me an offer.

Don't worry about hooking up with anyone, Johnny, you are always welcome to join us.

You are a born angler, even without a boat, you will catch the fish, the vibes that comes out of your hand when you touch a rod just make the fish zoned to the end of your lure.