learnt a lesson last night!

ctdd2006

.....Bring your neoprene chest waders this time of year to assist in hooking up the boat to the trailer! I went fishing alone yesterday afternoon hunting walters and jumbos....had a great afternoon, a couple eyes and a bucket full of keeper perch for the table. The fun part began when attempting to load the boat in 20 km winds and a deep launch. Like a dummy, I thought I could "tight rope" the tongue to latch on and SPLASH! That 46 degree water made for the 60km drive home interesting! Good thing I didn't get pulled over! lol!

Pics to follow (I hope)....camera is drying out!

FYI, I was out @ the mouth of the Spanish River in the North Channel of Lake Huron out in the "Whalesback Channel/Aird Island area. Marked lots of fish, caught the eyes trolling in forty feet of water on a large taildancer chub colors and the perch bouncing an 1/8 ounce jig off bottom in a variety of depths tipped with a live dew worm.

Edited by ctdd2006

been there done that too..I think if you do alot of boating, bound to happen once in a while :dunno:

funny thing is last time that happened to me, I was not alone..but the wussy sucks I was fishing with didn't have any boots on and didn't want to step in the water..poor babies, so I did the same thing from inside my boat after I ran it up on the trailer...had to step off the bow to put the winch strap on..and yepper...slllliiiiippppp :o

you are not alone man :lol::Gonefishing:

Like the other members said been there done that!!!!. :blink::huh: ..and after a while i got smart,i now have had for about 5yrs a pair of hip waders in my vehicle at all times,and they come in handy all the time,i will probly be using them tommorow depending where i launch at quinte !!!! got mine at wal-mart for about $25 on sale,so its worth it for sure,nothing worse than a cold drive home,or even worse if you do that before you launch...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Hate to admit it, but Ive done it more than a few times. Now I just wear old running shoes and wade right in if I have to. As one gets a little more mature ( that's polite for "old"), falls can be more serious. However, it's usually July or August water temp's, and I have spare socks and shoes in the truck.

Ya gotta love being a spectator of the boat launch antics!!! :w00t:

Ha.Isn't that the truth Glen.

Had the pleasure of working at a marina as a teenage kid one summer. Some were appreciative of help, some would ignore me (just a kid).Trailer tongues stuck into a tailgate or a trunk lid was always a popular thing to see.

Just don't try this.

opp_boat1.jpg

Edited by Bernie

I have been experimenting with NOT backing in quite as far as I should so I am not over water hopping off the front and I am clear on the last 3 shots. Surprisingly you may not need to put the trailer in as far you normally do. My only concern is usually the prop when I am going up to the roller.Trim up and you will probably be ok and DRY.

Never had the misfortune to slip off the boat tongue into cold water.........yet.........but I did fall out of a boat in April one year and that wasn't too pleasant either :w00t:

Definetely the reason to carry a FULL change of clothes for the drive home.

Here's a nifty little item from Cabellas that bolts onto your trailer tongue and would provide a safer platform to stand on while hooking up the winch strap.

i017443sn01.jpg