Cougers in the east?

Pondo

The MNR has a program going around here to try and gather some evidence about them. They have hair traps and trail cams set up on one property I hunt!! Some mornings its a little spooky waiting for legal shooting time to roll around.......They are around for sure!

Sinker

I'm not ready to buy the "there's cougars in Ontario" story yet. I know that there has been DNA proof of some droppings, but I believe it was an escapee.

If there are wild cougars in Ontario, where are the photos, paw prints, kill sites, shot animals....? As outdoorguy says, they are not difficult to hunt, with either a gun or a camera. We get the same 'sitings' in this area, but somehow nobody ever walks over and finds tracks where the cougar was walking.

I have to agree 100% with Sdog. NONE ever trapped, none ever shot, none ever REALLY photographed. Sounds more like another possible BIGFOOT legend developing with NOW a possible escaped illegal pet on the loose.

I have to agree 100% with Sdog. NONE ever trapped, none ever shot, none ever REALLY photographed. Sounds more like another possible BIGFOOT legend developing with NOW a possible escaped illegal pet on the loose.

lol you guy are joking right? iam born raised sudbury/elliot lk , 100% for sure they are here

I would like to KNOW why you guys think,they are not here?????????????????????

Our climate can sustain them,we have the wild life to feed them.

For me I have ,pretty much sure have,seen one on my way up north. Theres no way Garfield looked this big.

I don't know how "easy" it is to hunt cougars?

Maybe with a pack of hounds you could run one up a tree, but simply tracking down a cougar would be pretty tough IMO.

that...and there is no season here in Ontario, so why would one try.

I think the evidence starting to pile up...only a matter of time till the MNR confirms it

I would like to KNOW why you guys think,they are not here?????????????????????

Our climate can sustain them,we have the wild life to feed them.

For me I have ,pretty much sure have,seen one on my way up north. Theres no way Garfield looked this big.

Well it's simply evidence. Have you trapped any or have you shot any. If not have any of your neighbors trapped any or shot any and if so do you have any pictures of said animals. This is WHY your DEC list them as a MAYBE for our discussion. UNTIL then they are just another BIGFOOT.

read through the post, I am still laughing about all the "cougar" cracks.

I am originally from London,ON and there were always sightings being reported in and around that area too, however they are always said to be "Western" Cougar, which are used as pets, or made their way here... "Eastern" cougars are extinct..??

Edited by FISHEYEZ

I don't care if MNR or anyone else believes there are cougars in Ontario. Last spring I had one not 30' away from me while I was out on my deck early one morning. My neighbour saw it too but didn't realize what he had seen until we started talking about it the next day. It was early and still dark, he heard the noise and turned on his yard lights and saw something large in the yard, he thought it might have been a wolf, he never expected a cougar.

Believe it or not, doesn't matter to me, I KNOW what I saw and heard!

Cougars easy to hunt??? HAHAHAHA

Your serious? without dogs you will NEVER see one. I have hunted out west for 15 years in a area that has lots. Seen prints in the snow once. That was after it stalked ME back to the cabin one night.

My buddie who lives there and works the area every day has seen one live one. two dead from cars.

There like smoke in the woods.

Cougars easy to hunt??? HAHAHAHA

Your serious? without dogs you will NEVER see one. I have hunted out west for 15 years in a area that has lots. Seen prints in the snow once. That was after it stalked ME back to the cabin one night.

Exsactly my thoughts.

Cougars are extremely quiet, and smart preditors.

I'd say the same for Lynx, and bobcat....

I know 100% they are here...the MNR agrees, and yet I've never seen a print left behind, or a kill site.

Smart animals, that are usualy 2 steps ahead of us....unless you throw a pack of hounds after them

Personally I haven't seen any Cougar in Ontario. I remember seeing one on the side of 1-495 in New York State though. But just because I haven't seen one or taken a pic of one doesn't mean that I don't believe that they;re making a comeback. I'm sure I'll see one at some point,

But I remember MuskieStudd telling me one of his neighbours saw one in his neighbourhood

i know theres lots in the sault area. my buddys dad works for the mnr and he said between 2005-2006 they captured 29 and relocated them to more remote locations. they dont want to go around and tell everyone cause it will just scare ppl.

According to the above account it sounds like MNR has caught some but does'nt want to panic folks.

Most of new reports on map are generally south of former range. We will see eventually i guess.

Hi Everyone:

Just to clarify, the MNR does not trap and relocate pumas in Ontario, the trail cameras set up on properties are most likely the property of the Ontario Puma Foundation and anyone seeing a cougar in Ontario can email me or go to The Ontario Puma Foundation website to report a sighting. I am the secretary of the foundation.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks Nemo for posting the map. :)

Pam Dallaire [email protected]

I spotted a big cat up in the collingwood area one evening after coming off the slopes and heading to the car. I am not sure what it was, (probably not quite big enough to be a cougar) but it was big, wild and made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck