NF - WHAT AGE

FLEX ROD

Help please, as a non hunter I have no idea, as I understand their is a minimum age to start hunting but once you have your permits and renew your licence you are good to go, right?

So my issue my dad is 81 and I think that it is truely time for him to give up his guns as unfortunatly he had a mild stroke about 6-7 years ago and he ages the marks that this stroke left are more and more vissible.

As we all know, nobody wants to admit and or except the fact that we are getting older but in this situation with his hands shaking and his poor hearing I think that for his safty and the safty of others it is time.

Any info on legalities in reference to age or when one can be forced to stop?

Please all help is appriciated,

Thanks,

FLEX

Maybe a statement from your Dad's doctor would make a convincing case? If he is a greater danger to himself or his buddies, you are definitely doing a good thing here.

You might sweeten the deal by getting him a digital camera with a good zoom, so he can still shoot, just not hunt.

Thank you Doug, this is more of a pride issue with him now, I for one will greatly miss the game from my table, but I am more concerned about missing him or Gob forbid some thing worse.

That is why I am looking for some help in this area.

With him, it will be all or nothing I suspect.

Thanks for the feed back,

FLEX

I'm sure that if you can include dad in all the other parts of the hunt other than shooting, and given a camera for spotting, he won't mind too much.

Remember, you are asking him to give up a part of a way of life he always knew and cherished. Nobody, young or old , likes to be left behind. I know old timers who go up to the camps even though they don't hunt and hardly fish anymore. One of my friends brings his 85 year old dad to the fishing camp and it takes 3 to get him safely in the boat. So what! IT WOULD NOT BE RIGHT TO LEAVE HIM BEHIND. My uncle is 74 and is trapped in a body that requires leg braces for simple mobility. He can't go fishing by himself in a boat or onshore. We move heaven and earth to ensure he comes out fishing for as much as he likes.

I'm certain, from the nature of your post that you love your father dearly. Despite his age and health try and find a way to help him realize a sad truth and still maintain his dignity. Get him out fishing more? You will both feel a lot better about it in the long run.

Couldn't agree with Bigulgi's comments anymore, well put.

We have an 80 year old in our hunting group. When he was young he was one of the hardest working hunters in the group. He has now come to realize that isn't possible and also dangerous for him. He now gets the stand closest to the road, stays home if too cold or wet out and yet still feels like he's part of the hunting group. It would be ideal if someone in the hunting group could mentor or guide him this way, but as is often the case the older we get the more hard headed and stubborn we get. If you really feel it is unsafe for him to hold and fire a firearm then maybe the camera or video angle might work. You could encourage him to go out with others in the group and get their hunts on camera. Good luck with Dad.

BIGUGLI, you are very correct I do love and care for him very much that is why I spent 2.5 years hounding him and my mother to move from their house into a condo.

I finally had sucsess this summer, I would love to include him in the hunt - BUT I do not hunt so that is imposible, yes we do fish together but again my time is very short and for the past 6 weeks still recovering from miserbable knee surgery with no rapid end in sight.

My only consern is his well being hence the post, I thought that I had made some headway a while back but I found out he went hunting last week, and with deer season I do not know, don't even know if he has tag or even if he applied.

FLEX

That would be a tough situation to be in. You're caught between the rock and the hard place. If you call the MNR to have his license and PAL revoked, he may hate you the rest of his days. If you don't someone will eventually get hurt. I realize you don't hunt but maybe you can get a hold of some of his hunting partners and feel them out? Or is he a lone hunter?

We hunt with an 80+ year old, He always said, I rather die than give up the sport. It's like forceing an 80 year to quit smoking, when he doesn't want to. But if you affraid your dad is a risk to himself or others, than ya tell him to hang up the gun. like people said, have him spotting.

Daniel

if he still wants to hunt and you try to force him to stop, you are going to have a man hate you for the rest of his life....

has a doctor found him incompetent ( They have set questions they can ask to determine his mental state and that is the bottom line) and does someone have his power of attorney...

if not, well

you should know him better then anyone else and how he will take it

and if it's a physical problem and his age, well we all have to go sometime and I think going while out hunting or fishing, is the way I want to go...

if you could get him to go on the hunt without the guns is a good idea, most camps I belonged to has 1 or 2 older guys who didn't hunt, would walk a bit and did the cooking around camp....that might be enough for him

but if he thinks he still want to hunt...it could be a battle...........you probably already know how he is going to take it...

just my thoughts on it

good luck

It,s more tough that you are not a hunter. maybe not understanding what it means to him.

The seen from Grumpier old men were the ol boy pass,s on. He did what he loved.Not trying to make you upset,but to me thats the way I would want to go.

Is there something you can do to maybe enjoy the hunt with him? Like said,he dosent have to take part in the hunt. Maybe with you just being there and enjoying the week would be a great benifit to both of you.

Heck even if you were to go with him/them and do the cooking. I always wanted to go to the hunts even when I was not a hunter. I would of cooked and clean just to hang out with the boys.

Hope that made some kind of sense. I know I would go out of my way so my pop could enjoy his two/three weeks of hunting with the friends and boys this time of year.

Couldn't agree with Bigulgi's comments anymore, well put.

We have an 80 year old in our hunting group. When he was young he was one of the hardest working hunters in the group. He has now come to realize that isn't possible and also dangerous for him. He now gets the stand closest to the road, stays home if too cold or wet out and yet still feels like he's part of the hunting group. It would be ideal if someone in the hunting group could mentor or guide him this way, but as is often the case the older we get the more hard headed and stubborn we get. If you really feel it is unsafe for him to hold and fire a firearm then maybe the camera or video angle might work. You could encourage him to go out with others in the group and get their hunts on camera. Good luck with Dad.

Well Said. Just stay close behind him when he is about to shoot. Hopefully you can keep him occupied on other things instead of hunting