Annual Hunting Trip West (NF)

TJQ

Every Year in Mid October, I take 10 days and join a group of good ole boys to travel to Mine Center, near Fort Frances, where my buddy has a cabin on a lake and where the deer and moose hunting is usually pretty good. Its a 14 hour drive for us, but well worth it every year.

We left at 3:30 in the morning to make sure we got there when it was still daylight to get our gear across the lake to the camp. I love the drive out, (the drive back... not so much...) we talk about the hunt, see the familiar sites, (this is my 12th year going out) and get ready to rock.

A few years ago, a large area was burned by a forest fire, its interesting to see how the area's growth has progressed over the years.

img_2992.jpg

img_2996.jpg

img_2991.jpg

We arrived at camp just before dark, and got our gear accross and had a few rtefreshments while discussing our plans for the next day.

img_3290.jpg

The first couple of days were very uneventful, we scouted out our usual productive areas, which showed lot of good sign, but the weather was really warm, with clear skys at night and a full moon, which seemed to keep the deer from moving during the daylight.... I did manage this picture on my game camera in front of my favorite watch.

mdgc0088.jpg

The next day, my buddie Tookies son, Nicholas, who just got his PAL and hunting licence got this beautiful buck outta his deer stand! It was 225lbs dressed. and a BEAUTIFUL 8 pt rack

img_3013.jpg

The gun he was using is his late Grandfathers .300 savage. Here's a picture of him and his dad... and of course I had to get into the picture!!! LOL

img_3029.jpg

img_3019.jpg

Here he is using his tag...

img_3034.jpg

And his dad instructing him on skinning....

img_3039.jpg

Another couple of days go by with no action, here are the views from a few of my favorite watches....

img_3275.jpg

img_3260.jpg

img_3261.jpg

The next Day while we were on the watch, a shot rings out, followed by another... we turn on the Radio, and the hear "Ive got a Bull down!!" from Mr. Bob Burnham, the worlds Greatest Moose Hunting Master!! We all haul ass to him and then the fun/work begins..... Here's some pictures...

9893.jpg

img_3059.jpg

9886.jpg

Now the work gutting begins... lol.. I left that to the moose professionals... but decided I could help with the... um... beverages....

3057.jpg

Next was getting into the truck,

img_3125.jpg

Then back accross the lake,

img_31268.jpg

and hung up at camp...

img_3142.jpg

img_3185.jpg

img_3199.jpg

Then it was time for a few drinks and poker.. which I learned I should not play after a few drinks hahahahah Thanks DENIS!!! To be honest the table looked like this pretty much the whole 10 days... lol..

img_3203.jpg

It was time for some Grouse hunting, and Nicholas who... unbelievably shot his first deer.. before shooting a partridge added a few of those to his resume...

9884.jpg

The rest of the week was very quiet, I had a couple of really quick chances, but it wasnt in the cards for me this year... Im not dissapointed though, we were up at 5 every day and hunted hard, it certainly wasnt for lack of trying.

Heres a few more pictures I took along the way. Here's a nice one of Nic's deer.

img_3424.jpg

And of course every hunt camp need a pinup girl!!

img_3331.jpg

Heres some pictures of the lake.

img_3257.jpg

img_3258.jpg

Here the racks of big bucks past... nics will be up here next year!

img_3318.jpg

Some wolf tracks on the beach by camp...

img_3255.jpg

And apparently a signal as to what they thought of us being there... lol

img_3256.jpg

This is Ole Uncle Joe who has been going on this trip, every year since 1971, when the only way to get out there was by rail... Hes one of the last two ole timers to be going, and goes home every year with his own deer!!

img_3231.jpg

I love this gas station on the way home..

img_3433.jpg

and these guys did well!!

img_3440.jpg

Now for the fun part!! cutting the meat.. a 10 hour adventure. A cooler full to start.

img_3451.jpg

The butchers and apprentice at work.

img_3449.jpg

Im in charge of minute steak and hamburger...

img_3456a.jpg

And Denis is the wrapper!!

img_3450.jpg

Its all done now and in the freezer... time to get to work... ugghhgg....

This is my 12th year going and as always I have never been disappointed.. I am grateful to be able to go, and have more happy memories than any one man should. We worked hard had some good laughs.. some rough mornings and some decent success!! Its hard to complain when the weather is too good... lol....

350 more days to go till next year!!! I gotta go oil my guns!!

great report

nice to see the young lad get his first deer.

300 savage is still my favorite bush gun , light , short , accurate and trouble free ,can't say the same for my semi's. :wallbash:

Love the hunt camp experience only get in now for the weekends ( not even huinting this year) but its an experience i will always treasure.

our deer camp has been in use since eearly 1900's our oldest member (83) still makes the trip in each year .The stories around the table at night are my personal highlight of the hunts.

thanks for sharing

TB

Wow...unbelievable report TJ! I don't usually coment on hunting threads, but I'm assuming you kept those animals because they couldn't be released right??? :lol:

Could have done without the pile of poop picture though...I was eating my lunch at the time.....

Great pics!

EXCELLENT!!!!!! You've got some priceless pictures there. Nicholas looks proud in those pics but I think Tookie seems a little prouder...and with reason. Thanks for posting TJ and BTW......you're outta beer at home.

Love the hunt camp experience only get in now for the weekends ( not even huinting this year) but its an experience i will always treasure.

It should be a part of everyones heritage!

Could have done without the pile of poop picture though...I was eating my lunch at the time.....

What!! Im sure the rabbit feels even worse about it!!

Thanks for posting TJ and BTW......you're outta beer at home.

I know.... at least ya left me the empties... by the way Roy, ive got some bucktails for ya!

Great report and pics TJ :thumbsup_anim:

Very nice spot you guys have up there :thumbsup_anim:

Nicholas must be happy and proud of his buck he shot...... 8 points real nice congratulation :clapping:

It's funny how time flies up there hunting compared to the preparation that goes into it.

The butchering part is cool too but very long process..... we do our own every year and makes for some interesting talks :lol:

I'm leaving Friday morning for a week at deer camp and just can't wait to be en route to paradise land B)

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

Looks like a right respectable hunt, and you obviously have a solid hunting party that works well. I may have given up hunting several years back, but I still appreciate a good hunting report or story.

Still get a hankering for bear, moose and venison too.

That young lad will never forget the exact details of his first kill. WTG

great report, I have met alot of people over the years that pass down thier hunting heritage from generation to generation, I also think this is a great way to spend time in the outdoors and truely learn how to appreciate some of the simpler things in life....even a good ole story telling sesion by the fire on account of this time of year in the bush it's cold and dark so early anyhow

thanks for sharing...when's dinner?

Edited by jwl

Oh My the graphic nature of those pictures has scarred me now.

It may be hours (Well days cause season aint open yet) before I'm able to put the cross hairs on a deer I may have just called out.

I may have nightmares now seeing the graphic nature of that gut pile (or maybe it was buddy there shirtless)

Kudos though for giving the general public a warning of something this terrible.....gotta go now and play "Grand Theft Auto III" :canadian:

I'll put the tongue in the other cheek now

PS Good Goin

Great report and pictures. Sounds like you have a great group to hunt/share stories with, which to me is more important than any trophy.

Congrats to Nicholas and to his dad and the group for passing on the hunting heritage.

Already having trouble waiting for the weekend to get together with my hunting group, you just made it alot worse. I guess I can just look at some more satellite maps of my area again.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy the memories and fine eating ahead.

by the way Roy, ive got some bucktails for ya!

Oh the favoratism :glare: Guess my homemade bucktail spinnerbaits aren't worthy :( None for you then :P

Great report TJ. You had me freaked out there for a minute as my uncle's name is Bob Burnham. But he looks like nobody in your pics so must not be him.

I coulda done without the poop pic too btw :D

Joey

Joey... did ya want some tails.... Ill see if I can come up with some for ya!!

Sweet!!! That would be awesome TJ. I'm running out of them faster than a bottle of whisky at a moose hunt camp :lol:

Thanks bud.

Joey

The pics in the cutting room sure do bring back memories of the Soo TJ. There would be 5-6 of us carving, cutting and blending and stuffing 200lb. lbs of sausage. All done while washing down a couple of gallons of homemade wine. Me being the new member of the party got to dig in and mix the sausage blend by hand. Right up to my elbows. Had to blend in a little bit of pork so the sausage didn't get too dry. Half would go in the freezer, the other half packed in oil to become cured dry sausage.

great report

but I seem to be lost

if you had it in a truck

why did you then need to put it in a boat

It was shot on the udderside of the lake, so's in order to hang it up pruperly like we hads to bring er 'ome