float fishing

GBW

Thanks guys, as I'm new to this type of rod and reel I wasn't sure.

yeah, how so? I know it may look older then dirt, so is it older then dirt? HAHA

Don't know if it's older than dirt, but my the looks of it you may be able to do some carbon dating on it!! LOL :D

Actually, looking at it again, keep the set up as it is and bring it to the next antique roadshow. I have a couple of fly reels, but don't look anything like that one.

Do you think you can try macro setting in the daylight, with flash off? Your pics will come out clearer. If there are some connoisseurs on the board, they might also be able to tell you if you have a collector's item there...

No doubt about it being a fly fishing setup, though. For float fishing, you will be forced to pony up some dough... <_<

p.-

p.s. macro setting is the one that looks like a little flower. It's the same on all cameras.

pns_rephoto_macro.jpg

Edited by Paulus

Yes the tackle is a fly rod/reel, and frankly not worth spending your money in IMO.

The reel is kind of interesting. The small lever sticking out in front leads me to believe it's an automatic reel.

If so there'd be a knob on the backplate that you wind up and then pull the lever up to retrieve line.

They were a true oddity back in the day, never really catching on with anglers...

PS, solo, how old are you talking when you say back in the day?

I'm not after money for this is anyway as it's not mine. I want to know more about it and if I can use it today... Thanks again all.

Geoff

It cleaned up nice.

Multiplier fly reel and Mitchell fly rod, the reels were imported by L M Dickson (on the reel) from France in the late 1950s to 1960s and carried by many sporting stores.

Very useable for fly fishing.

You will probably need to replace the fly line and backing if it is the same vintage.

The reel may not carry enough line if you hook into a good sized steelhead.

If you want to float fish you will need to look into getting a different rig, a basic centerpin reel and rod can set you back over $250 though.

I already had a decent baitcast reel, so I bought a cheap ($50) 13 foot baitcast float rod, a couple floats, hooks, small swivels, split shot (without the wings), roe bags and I went float fishing.

Dan

Edited by dannyboy

I learned a valuable lesson today regarding float reels, I fished the whirlpool in Niagara for about 5 hours today, with a spinning reel. I was fishing some really good drifts and was taking note of the other anglers around me. I watched about 15 steelies caught today and every fish caught was of of a float reel set up. I fished the exact same baits Roe and small worms and caught nothing. Eventually I broke down the rod and spent about an hour watching the float reel guys and it was quite evident that their drifts were way more natural looking. I also will be asking Santa for a new float set up.

Good luck with the new equipment.

It cleaned up nice.

Multiplier fly reel and Mitchell fly rod, the reels were imported by L M Dickson (on the reel) from France in the late 1950s to 1960s and carried by many sporting stores.

Very useable for fly fishing.

You will probably need to replace the fly line and backing if it is the same vintage.

The reel may not carry enough line if you hook into a good sized steelhead.

Dan

Wow, thanks Dan.

Do you know any place in the GTA East end where I can get the reel cleaned up and serviced? Or is it not worth it and the basic clean up that I have done should be good... What I would like to know is how to work the drag system on this reel as i was tinkering with it and I think the drag may be shot because of being left on full force (I think) for so many years in storage.

Funny thing though, the line looks to be only a few years old as it is still bright and strong. I grabbed a section and gave it a few solid tugs and there was no give or breakage. Either way, I'll replace the line...

Any other comments are welcome as well, I thank you all.

Geoff

Your reel may have drag in the form of that little copper coloured star under the handle you may be able to carefully reform it, keeping in mind it may have hardened over time. Many fly reels don't have drag; just a clicker and you can also supply the drag to the spool or line with your hand.

Servicing should be easy as there are not too many moving parts, if you are comfortable do it yourself; get an old white sheet, good light source and decent tools.

Use your newly found camera skills and take pictures of every step of disassembly, lay out the parts in order of removal.

Carefully wipe off any old grease and replace with a small amount of grease - remember if you can see the grease it isn't doing anything other than collecting dirt.

If the line is in good shape and has no cracks it should be fine, you may need to unspool it and put it in a tub of warm water to get the curl out of it. While you unspool it take notice if there is any taper to the line - fly lines come in many different configurations. If the line diameter doesn't change over the length of the line it is a level line which is more challenging to learn to cast with.

HIH

Dan

• 3 months later...