float fishing

GBW

Hi all.

Well with all these threads on float fishing and some real nice pic's you have got me wanting to give it a try. So my questions to all you float fishers out there is how often do you need to replace the floating line (main line?)? What's good to use for line(s)? I have access to a float set up but neither my father nor I know how old the set up is and how old the line is. We don't even know where the rod and reel came from as I asked him and he doesn't know. I just know I can get it from the cottage in 2 weekends when I go up.

Any tip's on how to loop/cast with one properly? I can watch video's till my eyes bleed if need be. Or if anyone is willing to teach a not so old dog a new trick I would be thankful. Cheers.

Geoff

Edited by GBW

If you dont know how old it is, you are going to want to replace the line for sure. I like the Raven bright pink line, seems to float well (for a while, then it collects water and sinks like a rock) and it tough as nails. Im sure others will have their own opinions on the line though.

As for casting learning the side cast is super easy and simple to do when its cold out and your hands are frozen, just watch a video you will pick it up in no time.

It will twist your line though so learning a spinning cast is a bonus

i just started float fishing maybe 1 month ago, so don't count on me 100%..lol

i run 10lb siglon F main line..using a swivel, i tie a 6lb siglon FC leader about 18-24'' long depending on the situation. i then put shots gradually down from my float to the swivel (no shots on my leader). and i ONLY use no. 6 shots, i believe they are 0.105grams. 90% time i use the 2.0gram blackbird float since its a good all around float for slow to medium current. as for casting, just watch some videos on youtube and you'll learn in no time. one thing i realized is that after a cast, i have to guide my line back to my pin in order to have a smooth drift.

the best thing that you can do is walk down to any river and watch what other people are doing, you will learn fast that way but be sure to check 1. how far away from the hook is their last shot 2. how many shot they have on their lead ( i like to run 2 small ones 3. the size of their float 4. amount of shot under their float 5. the weight of their float and remember you need different leads for different baits ie... roe i use a shorter lead and for pink worms i use a long lead. hope this helps !!!!!!! thanks bigredfisher

GBW: Unless you are planning to drive a fair bit, the creeks in your area aren't real wide, so you don't need to worry about the line "floating". Just make sure the reel will turn easily, that is the main advantage to a float reel; you can continue a straight drift beyond where a spinning reel will let you go. As far as casting goes, its like backing up a trailer, you can get an idea from a video but you need to practice.

i use raven 10lb mainline green (cheeeeep and strong) and "phantom" (by redwing) fluorocarbon leader. i also use riverwood balsa floats, most of the time.

i agree with all the other comments & can add that the best part is when the float goes down :)

whatever pain you go through with this new discipline, keep dropping us the odd post & we will help. but it's worth learning the skill if only to see that float go down and have it come trailing a bright chrome steelhead :)

post a pic of your stuff once you've retrieved it. we can tell you what it is you've got!

and finally, welcome and good luck!

p.-

thanks all!

do you find that on a short float in the tight areas that you can just use mono as your main line with a good fluoro leader? I'm thinking like an 8LB or 10LB good mono as the main if that will work.

I'll post a pic or few for you when I get my hands on the set up just so you can help me out with things (thanks in advance) as well as give me any idea of the age of this gear.

thanks again all and I'm willing to get out there and give it a shot any time I can. With that said, I must talk to the wife and see what plans we have for us and the kids... ;):D

Cheers!

Geoff

Post pics of the setup when you get it. Once you get it shoot me a pm and all help you out all pm you my phone number and walk you through the process of setup and rigging. I must warn you float fishing is an incurable disease.

Yes :)

p.-

Ah HA, good to hear!

Just remember to put some kind of backing on the reel before filling it with mono. It's cheaper and takes up more space.

You can also check out www.floatfishing.net

TKS, as I have a low cost but good mono I use as backing now on all my other spinning and baitcasting reeels.

Post pics of the setup when you get it. Once you get it shoot me a pm and all help you out all pm you my phone number and walk you through the process of setup and rigging. I must warn you float fishing is an incurable disease.

pic's will be added as soon as I get the set up home. I'll PM all that are willing to help me out as it's in MY best interest to take any help offered. So you will be hearing from me... ;)

Oh and don't you mean ANY fishing is an incurable disease? It sure is for me, Bass, walleye, pike, panfish and now MORE! :D I swear I had golf clubs not to long ago but they must have gotten lost by all this fishing gear... ;)

Ok, so I got the rod and reel the other day and I'll post pic's soon. Here is what it is.

Rod: 8'6" Ranger by Mitchell R85 with AFTMA 7-8 printed on it.

Reel: (I might have the spelling worng because of the font used) Lm Dichsovy, #106 MAGINOT.

Is this any good? I think the reel might be pooched, is there a place in Durham that can service it at a fair price? Thanks folks.

Geoff

Edited by GBW

Thanks guys, as I'm new to this type of rod and reel I wasn't sure.

THats quite the conversation piece youve got there

yeah, how so? I know it may look older then dirt, so is it older then dirt? HAHA