Hurricane Fishin' on LPB

Rich

Ryan and I had planned to hit the bay nice & early Saturday morning but unfortunately those plans fizzled away as Ryan had a bit of a family emergency (everything is okay now). So plans changed and were set for a Sunday morning fish. Sugarpacket kindly asked if she could join us for the morning and Ryan was nice enough to allow us both to join him.

We woke up at 4am to raging winds in the 30 - 40kph range. We hit Timmies up and headed over to Long Point to launch the boat. While we waited for the sun to come up we all enjoyed a coffee and shot the breeze, and casted a little from the dock.

1-1.jpg

Finally we had enough light and put the boat in. Ryan worked the bow mount for about 10 minutes then suddenly he had "reel troubles" and said "Rich take the bow for a minute" ... well that minute lasted all day and let me tell ya, working a bow mount in 30kph winds is just NOT easy to do! There was no protection from the wind as we pounded some docks and canals and I just had to move us out on the flats where we were completely unprotected. The wind was coming from the Southwest though so waters weren't rough out there.. but we were blowing about 2mph across the bay. Here's a look at a beautiful relaxing morning on the inner bay.

2-5.jpg

It wasn't long in what I call "pike alley" before I hooked a little hammer handle right next to the boat. Not much to brag about but certainly nothing to complain about... especially since I had just landed the first fish in Ryan's new boat :whistling:

3-3.jpg

The other two kept fishing like champs.

5-4.jpg

We all chucked spinnerbaits for a long time and finally Ryan switched up to a twitch bait (Mercer's Magic) and his rod bent over. He said "damn weeds" and seconds later I heard splashing behind the boat. Ryan had hooked into a better pike!

4-4.jpg

Before we knew it we had literally drifted all the way across the bay in a matter of an hour (usually takes me that long to run it in my boat, lol) and we were fishing shallow near St Williams. Suddenly SMASH beside the boat at the end of my line. I had nailed a really decent, chunky Long Point largemouth! No idea of the weight but this thing was a stocky, chunky little pig and actually my biggest out of the bay this year.

6-1.jpg

11.jpg

We tucked into a little cove just to basically take a rest and this is when the trolling motor skills went out the window. It was so shallow and the motor kept getting bogged up with weeds that Ryan's outboard took a few dings on some rocks. No big damage but man I still felt bad. Ryan understood it was beyond my control. With winds like that it's near impossible!

Anywho we exited the cove and the motors were still working fine so we decided to check out a marina for some perch or other panfish action.

As we entered the marina of choice Sugarpacket missed a good'un on a spinnerbait, unfortunately it was a good pike and it took her spinnerbait with it. A bite off, too bad.. I was really hoping Sugarpacket would nail her first LPB pike today.

We moved to the back of the marina and found some emerald shiners doing their fall thing. I dropped some Gulp Alive maggots and was almost immediately into a jumbo perch. Unfortunately that was about it. Ryan nailed one more perch (a keeper but not a jumbo) and the sickliest looking largemouth any of us had ever seen. We should have got a pic of that fish. Skinny as heck and beat up too! Looked like a crackhead bass. Anywho, here's a pic of the big perch.

13.jpg

Time unfortunately ran out soon after and we had to head back. This time we were running against the wind and it wasn't quite so comfortable - yet still cushier than the Filth Hound, lol

12.jpg

7-1.jpg

We pulled into the marina soaked and wind burnt but none of us wanted to go home. Even days in that weather are better than days at home or at work! Ryan took a minute to pose with his ride(s) before packing her in.

9.jpg

I gotta say despite the hurricane weather it was an awesome day and I'm jealous of Ryan's boat! Though I'm sure he was glad to have me navigate in the wind for him like that ;)

We all had a great time and we all can't wait to do it again. Hopefully in nicer weather. lol Thanks again Ryan!

Excellent report and pics Rich!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

I gotta say that Sugarpackets is a real trooper to go out in weather like that!!! :canadian:

That's a beauty Largie for anywhere!!!... and the Perch is a darn fine specimen too!!! :Gonefishing:

Not sure if Ryan deserves any accolades for the Pike... prolly had a diver down there that hooked it on his line for him... yanno how those fishin' show folks are! ;)

... just kiddin Ryan, a fine Pike Bubba!!! :thumbsup_anim:

I've found it's sometimes better to throw out a drift sock on windy days like that and let the wind blow the boat and just use the trolling motor for steering, it beats fighting the wind!

Congrats on the new boat Ryan. Great report, as always, Rich. That was a beauty of a largemouth you caught there. Next time Sugarpacket, you'll catch the biggun'. That's just the way it works sometimes. I agree with GCD investing in two drift socks would be money well spent if you're going to fish in conditions like that.

Thanks for the morning on the water guys! The winds were harsh, and we got soaked on the way in but it was all worth it. Just some paint scraped off the prop - some would call that character..... although I didn't really appreciate getting out-fished on my first outing in the new ride.... ;)

By the way - Rich refused the net on that hog - he's hardcore...lol

Cheers,

Ryan

Oh trust me Wild, that's what I spent 80% of the day casting for! The bass was caught while I was giving my arm a rest casting bass sized baits, lol

Dang Rich,

Thought that was my signature move!

Sugar packet is one hardy soul. My wife looks at those conditions and falls into fetal position!

Nice one!

:clapping:

Oh trust me Wild, that's what I spent 80% of the day casting for! The bass was caught while I was giving my arm a rest casting bass sized baits, lol

Well carry on then! I keep having thoughts that a bigun will be caught there sometime soon :santa:

Well carry on then! I keep having thoughts that a bigun will be caught there sometime soon :santa:

Whic reminds me/been meaning to ask... do you ever go fishin'?... have you ever caught a fish before??... are we ever going to see a report from you???

... or do you just like to play ship disturber on fishin' message boards? ;)

Whic reminds me/been meaning to ask... do you ever go fishin'?... have you ever caught a fish before??... are we ever going to see a report from you???

... or do you just like to play ship disturber on fishin' message boards? :blahblah1:

Will be again, yes and yes and if you want details meantime feel free to PM me when y'all want to.