Desert Boots

Radnine

Actually, they are Clark's. I wore them all through the 60's...then they came out with the Wallabees...they sold well but they just weren't the same. Clark's desert boots...one of the most comfortable pieces of footwear I've ever worn.

Actually, they are Clark's. I wore them all through the 60's...then they came out with the Wallabees...they sold well but they just weren't the same. Clark's desert boots...one of the most comfortable pieces of footwear I've ever worn.

Back in the day I went for a few years when I wouldn't have been caught dead in anything but Clark's, Sperries, or Weejuns. And there was usually some madras in my clothing. Remember that?

JF

Of all the NF topics, I can't believe this one is getting so many reasonable replies :D Too funny.... What's that Australian boot company...Bluntstone...don't they make a pair too?

They don't seem quite preppy enuf.

JF

I guess this is what we should expect after your fly-fishing lessons and such....sheeeesh! :P

Sadly, my fishing attire isn't very preppy either, not even when I pretend to be a flyfisher. The vest is almost cool in a twisted geeky sorta way, but the pants are way too baggy, and the boots would get me thrown outa Hahvahd summarily. The hats don't even bear mentioning.

JF

Hadn't been able to find them down my way so I settled for the Hushpuppies. I also remember Clark Wallabees only too well. The first pair lasted 6 years. 2nd pair only 6 months, but man were they comfortable.

I just looked in my closet and found a pair of size 12 Apache desert boots (made in spain according tothe stamp inside) that are in almost mint condition, I bought them years ago and never got around to wear them more than a couple times. I see I put some insoles in them I guess that would tell me they were not as soft on the feet as the clarks were, but with todays new "gellin" products I imagine they could be.

However, did you know that as you gain weight, your feet get fatter. I tried them on withl no luck, (must be the 100 pounds i've gained ) since I bought them.

If you want them send me an email, I'll get them to you

I was also a fan of the desert boots back in the day, they were incredibly comfortable. I've seen them in the stores recentely and have even thought about getting another pair for myself.

When I was in the Navy in the 60's, I spent a year on a tanker that was loaded with Av-gas for the planes & bunker oil for the ships and it was mandatory that everyone involved wore desert boots at all times when we were transfering fuel from one ship to another as the crepe soles wouldn't spark on the steel decks and cause an explosion like the leather boots with the nailed on heels.

And while were talking about shoes from the good ole days, let's not forget the white bucks from the 50's........now that was kool B)

Only us koolest of the kool kids wore the red soles John hahahaha :thumbsup_anim:

It was always a battle at our school about which were the "real" white bucks. Personally, I favoured the thick black soles but the guys who wore the red soles were for the most part tougher than me, so I let them think they were right. My thick soles were certainly more comfortable. I always thought the red soles looked like intern shoes. :whistling:

JF