School ice hut cpt!!

silvio

Well in high school many of you know toward the end of your semester you must complete a cpt in simple terms a big project. Well this year I transformed a few friends into fishermen. Story is me and 2 guys in my construction class want to build an ice hut for our cpt and our teacher said go for it. So I was wondering if a few guys could help me. what would be a good size to make the hut? 3-4 guys will mostly be in it. Does anyone have any plans or advice? Any places to get cheap lumber? Were looking to build it with $300-$450. Any info on building ice huts will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by silvio

You should be able to get some good help and ideas on this subject from this site, I've seen some very nice hut pics posted here!

May I suggest using the ceramic coated decking screws for the fasteners, they hold really well and you can easily remove them for disassembly and storage of your hut.

Are you making a portable or semi permanent(something you can easily take apart for off season storage)? I had an semi for 4 years out west, 8' x 7'10" x 6' high, peak roof, all parts were no bigger than 4' wide by 8' long or shorter depending on roof, floor or walls. Each wall was 2 pieces that would bolt together, roof in 2 pieces, floor in 2 pieces. With my 2 young boys it would take about 15-20 minutes to bolt together on the ice, using a battery powered drill and 1 wrench. 1/4" ply roof and walls, 1/2" floor on 2x4 frames for floor and 2x3 and 2x2 for the walls and roof. Pink Panther insulation and toasty warm at -40.

Thanks Glen I always loved working with wood going to be nice to do some framing most likely what all do for the rest of my life I love it so much. its been 4 years I've taken this class and I’ve learned so much done some many projects I build a mini 4'x5'x36" shed today so that the rest of the class can wire, plumb, drywall and mud and tape it. this year the point is to learn the different trades my teacher always knew I was one to frame so it was my job to do that something about sinking a nail into a 2x4.

Thanks Don. Edit: Just check the pics very nice Don. What would a hut 8x8x6 cost me in lumber?

As a highschool tech teacher I am here to say "do you want him to build it for you as well?"

Make some sketches, develope a cut list (or bill of materials) then get on the phone and find out the cost studs and sheeting.

Jim

Have a look at this site (5 pages with pictures)

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=59197.0

Regards,

Snowball

Great site for the ice fisher.

As for skin material,you might want to try corrigated plastic. After all,it,s all about the insulation and it would make the hut MUCH lighter. 2x2 is all you need for framing. The floor should be out of 2x4. Make the hole in the middle of the hut. Keeps freeze ups, less from happening(ice thickness freeze over). Keeping the hut well banked with snow is a real plus aswell.