Sleeper Rods?

danbo

I picked up a 13' GLoomis IMX last night...took it out this morning for a couple of hours...4th drift...small bow(5lbs). Didn't get a hit after that, but neither did anyone else. What a nice rod!!!! If I didn't have to work I'd probably still be on the water. Feels real nice. B)

Cheers

i'm impressed with my 8'6" XH (4-12oz) telescopic Okuma muskie rod. i also have the new 8'6" xh st. croix premiere (4-10oz) and while it's definately a better rod than the okuma (except for the shorter butt), it is twice the price. okumas entire evx muskie line seems like a good deal. half the price of premiere/compre.

Edited by Raf

Hey Danbo!

Let's get something started on the reel end of things. Worst and the best. I guess we need different types of reel...spinning, baitcast..you know what I mean.

I'll getter started.

Worst..A daiwa reel :whistling: that I sold to Pollacks on Queen St. for next to nothing because I was hungry and I couldn't catch dinner because I already sold them my Ugly Stick the week before.( Had to be 1996).Mike Harris was our boy.

Best...Every reel that sits in my palm today because I'm not on the street anymore. Holy Crap!! Tears of Joy!! I just dropped another $100 on another Symetre 2500 that I really don't need. Oh Ya , Almost forgot about that new Islander I bought last week to match the IMX I bought last night. But that's for the other thread.

God Bless.

Chris

PS Thanx Kenny

Edited by verminator

When I was in AK last month my long spinning rod broke.

Went to a local shop and picked up an 81/2' Loomis GL2 rated 8-17.

It's incredibly thin in the butt for a rod with so much power in the lower end.

That rod is actually pretty damn sweet.

It'll work well as a slip float and live bait rig rod for walleye fishing.

And bottom bouncing, flatlining and casting hardware for steelhead.

I'm really liking my Berkley Series One rods

That's a nice rod danbo.

I seldom fish for pickeral anymore, infact only a few days in the spring, so I sold off all my expensive Shimano V-Rods that were just collecting dust, but hung on to an old Series One that I kept for guests.

Excellent rods for the $$$$

I have only a few rods and I like all of them for different things, but for the best sleeper rod I can't decide between two of them. So in no particular order here are my two.

I lucked out and got in on a deal when a store was closing out their Swan Company Noodle Rods. A friend picked up an 11.5ft emerald for me at 80.00 bucks!!!! For value it is incredible. Far exceeded my expectations and is better than many 300 or 400 dollar float rods I have seen. I also got a black for 100.00 at the same time but that one is still in the wrapper so I can't say how good it is.

I wanted a good perching rod and was totally blown away when I got a wally marshall BPS Signature series 8fter. The rod is awesome I use it for perch, bass, pike and walleye. It just has one flaw the reel seat is all plastic and if they had of went for a decent graphite seat and charged another 10 bucks for it this rod would be as perfect as you could get in a manufactured rod. It is so sensitive and yet it has great hook setting power as well. I have landed 20lb plus carp, 4lb bass and chucked 1oz weights all day perching with it.

Someone mentioned reels? For the money you can't beat Pflueger President series reels. I have bought 5 now and can't find one thing to complain about with them so far. I fish 3 of them year round and just make sure I lube them twice a year. I put all my mitchells and shimano's away after I started using the Pfluegers.

Amen on the Pfleuger President reels. Best reels ever were my 300A and my Gramps old Luxor. The Mitchell sits in glass now that the bail spring is gone, but the Luxor still works fine.

As for worst reels, anything made by Mitchell today. Nothing but cheap shiny trash that won't hold up to 6 months use. I bought into the 300X and the 310ultralite because they were "better than the old 300's could ever be". The salespersons staked their reputation on it. After 6 months the gears on the 300X started to grind. 2 months later the reverse lock on the 310 was pooched. Went back to the store and got nowhere. Was then told I should have bought a Stradic. Needless, I don't shop there any more.

Sradics are a nice reel but the bail wires have a habit of breaking. Weak weld and wire too thin.

My first spinning reel was, as my Dad's was, a Mitchell 300A. Lasted a llloooonnngggg time, but eventually got replaced. I do have a Mitchell "long cast" .. not sure what model#, but it's a smaller reel, and it has really gone the distance...not as smooth as my Abu's, but quite good for the $. For spinning reels, I'm really impressed with what Abu put's out -- the wife and son each have one, and they always feel better than my Roddy Hunter, and just a TAD nicer than my Daiwa something or other. But give me a baitcaster by Shimano, and I'll be happy. My Bantam Crestfire has been overused and abused, summer and winter, and still is as smooth as the day I got it...the Shimano I use for musky is the same story, although shamefully, I can't even remember the name of it...got replaced by the cardiff...ah well...one day I'll get a Calcutta :)

I still use a 6'6 Shakespeare Intrepid MH baitcasting rod for topwater bass..I just never found a better action than this.

My Shimano hate came from a Symetre spinning reel from 20 years ago..lol.

Daiwa Exceler spinning reels are the best deal around IMHO.

Daiwa Advantage baitcaster reels are superb-casting & smooth-retrieves that, make you want to fish the whole lake!

G.Loomis Centrepin reels are awesome for steel.

Fenwick HMX flyrods have great backbone.

My 6"6" browning 85 million modulous graphite rod !!!! its just as good as my shimano crucial !!!!,and i have a 15yr ols shakespear 7ft sigma 98.5% graphite rod, :whistling::clapping: and i still will use it for walleyes,its jsut got that amazing feel that i like as well as a fast action tip....and i think it was only like $50 bucks when i bought it at luck lou's.great topic too,its neat to hear all the old or different rods that we all still use....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I've switched almost all my rods over to Ugly Stik Lite rods the past 2 years. The braided line makes up for any deminished sensitivity (though they are pretty darn sensitive as it is). And for the 40 - 60 bucks, the rod will last you quite a long time!

A Loomis rod a sleeper?... I don't think so! The money you pay for those things, they should be sweeter than sweet!

I've got an Ugly Stik Tiger Lite I bought for Musky... gave $60 for it and that is one heckuve rod!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

It is sweet!!...and you know what ,I deserve it !!!!!When I go ,I will have nothing!!!I don't have kids...so CRAA gets whats left. Teach you're children well!

Cheers

Chris

I've never used a berkley rod I didn't like.Matter of fact I still use my old 1 piece 6 1/2' Berkley Power pole for crankin and I have a 7' Series One spinning which is now 6' 8" and even more sensitive than before.I highly recommend closing a door on the tip of one of these ;).I also have a 10 1/2' Shakesspeare Agility light action which I use for steel and also for panfish with a slipfloat.It's very sensitve on the river hits and has a great curve with a fish on but is not whippy.

Kerry

i have 2 walmart $39 6'6" spinning combos (mitchell), and one softer action $30 combo from a small tackle shop in Sioux Lookout. I use a 10' ugly stick light with a Shimano aero GTE-B Baitrunner reel for downrigging. I would like some better gear...lol...all donations greatfully accepted. :whistling:

I would love to upgrade to the Fenwick/G Loomis rods...have held a few of those babies at tackle stores in Winnipeg.....TO DIE FOR!!! but i am prone to lose rods in the same way as JohnyB's ....i shut them in car doors, etc...etc...etc...I have have broken 4 rods this year alone!!! such a clutz.

will one day upgrade my reels...its just the ones i like are from England...and i dont have a credit card so ordering them is a bit of a pain. Thy are Shimano reels but the products in England are slightly different. I love rear drag reels...especially ones with the 'fightingdrag' adjustment too...You can get them over hear...its just that the one i have seen which is similar always have that really annoying bail arm trigger thing...WHY DO THEY PUT THAT THING THERE...??? is it just me or is that the most redundant piece of !@#$@ ever??!! Anyway ...would love one ...actually 4 of these...2 of the 2500 size for walleye and spinning, and 2 smaller 1500's for my icefishing rods.

What i want for Xmas

Edited by limeyangler

i have 2 walmart $39 6'6" spinning combos (mitchell), and one softer action $30 combo from a small tackle shop in Sioux Lookout. I use a 10' ugly stick light with a Shimano aero GTE-B Baitrunner reel for downrigging. I would like some better gear...lol...all donations greatfully accepted. :whistling:

I would love to upgrade to the Fenwick/G Loomis rods...have held a few of those babies at tackle stores in Winnipeg.....TO DIE FOR!!! but i am prone to lose rods in the same way as JohnyB's ....i shut them in car doors, etc...etc...etc...I have have broken 4 rods this year alone!!! such a clutz.

That's what rod cases are for! Building some really nice wood and even a carbon fiber case this winter for those expensive rods :thumbsup_anim: