Truck tires

Jer

I just ordered a new set of tires for my Dakota: Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT (on sale at crappy tire, buy one, 2nd at 1/2 price) and was wondering if anyone has any opinion (good or bad) on these tires. I have never run on Dunlops before on any vehicle. They seemed to get a pretty good review on Tirerack.com.

Original tire size on the truck was P265/70R16 but I wanted to avoid another passenger type tire and go with a light truck tire (only available in that size on 'special order', no sale price) so I opted for LT245/75R16 which works out to almost the identical diameter but 2 cm narrower. I think the narrower tire will be better in the snow anyhow.

Any comments are welcome.

Years ago Dunlop were one of the best tires out there but recently they have been bought out by Goodyear. Haven't had any in many years but I am sure they are still a very well made tire. Can't comment on the particular tire you ordered but if you wouldn't have already purchased a truck tire I would of recommended a Bridgestone REVO tire for all around use. Here's what they look like.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...eler+A%2FT+Revo

These are not only GREAT in the snow and mud but also ride like a highway tire, Quit and Smooth. Bridgestone really hit a home run with these tires.

Thanks Billy, I've long been wanting a set of Michelin LTX M+S, but they never seem to go on sale anywhere, always around $250 or more each. It's hard for me to justify more than a grand for rubber on a truck that I only drive about 5000 km a year.

The Dunlops on sale come to $140 each installed (+$13 each for balancing, what's up with that, like you're gonna mount a tire and not balance it?). I actually haven't paid for anything yet, just got a raincheck til they come into stock. Maybe I'll check out the Revos in the meantime.

One thing I liked about the Dunlops is that although they aren't considered a winter tire per se, they do have the snowflake/mountain logo meeting certain standards in 'severe snow conditions'.

Anytime bud.

I need to find some tires for my oldmans '07 Duramax.. The Toyo M/T's on there now look awesome, but man do they ever eat into the mileage. We've had pretty good luck with BFG All-Terrain TA's, so we'll most likely pick up a set of those. Problem is, not many tires come in a 'E' rating, so the choice is limited..

Jer,

Here is a handy tire size calculator that will help you determine if your speedo and mileage is going to be a tad bit off because of the different tire size...

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Thanks Bill, I already checked a similar calculator and my speedo, odometer, etc will only be affected by +0.56% or something like that. I hardly think it's that accurate from the factory as it is.

Jer, if you go the the tirerack.com site that was included in my first post you can check out the cost for shipping to CANADA for you. I was surprised to see that they also ship up there. Just act like you are going to order and click "check shipping rate" and put in your mailing code.

Bob

Anytime bud.

I need to find some tires for my oldmans '07 Duramax.. The Toyo M/T's on there now look awesome, but man do they ever eat into the mileage. We've had pretty good luck with BFG All-Terrain TA's, so we'll most likely pick up a set of those. Problem is, not many tires come in a 'E' rating, so the choice is limited..

I've heard good things about the All Terrains, just stay away from BFG Radial Long Trail. That's what I have on the truck now. Really bald and cracked with less than 50K on them. The original Goodyear Wranglers lasted almost 90K.

I had 35 BFG ats on my chevy they couldent balance them they also cracked in between the lugs in the first yr,My crew cab has 22s with Yokohama MTR rubber they seem to be a good tire they ,the stock Generals are crap ,if I where you and you stated it already id spend the dough and get the michelins best ride and handling outta all them

Thanks Billy, I've long been wanting a set of Michelin LTX M+S, but they never seem to go on sale anywhere, always around $250 or more each. It's hard for me to justify more than a grand for rubber on a truck that I only drive about 5000 km a year.

I have run 3 sets of those Michelin LTX M+S and they are the BEST all around tire I have driven in ANY conditions. They pay for themselves with the better mileage and durability over cheaper imitations.

I've long been wanting a set of Michelin LTX M+S, but they never seem to go on sale anywhere, always around $250 or more each

..................i couldnt agree more.................i have the bf long trail and havent any problems with them , iam thinking of buying just winter tire's for this winter and put those bf's back on in the spring to last next summer then swap again in fall?? cant decide on tire brand tho ...good thread Jer

Edited by BUSTER

The rover isn't too bad of a tire you will find it a little noisy, but I do LTdesignation on the rover max load will occour at 60 or 80 psi, first it becomes a safety concern as to what the rims rec max pressure will be (usually 35-40 psi) on a oem p-metric fitment the lt tires will ride much rougher and reduce fuel economy, if cost is a issue may I suggest a couple decent tires in the correct size and load for your vehicle.

265/70r16 michelin ltx m/s I sell them for $218 installed and balanced (there is also a $50 mail in rebate on a set of 4)

dunlop radial rover AT in p265/70r16 $148 each I+B

Goodyear wrangler silent armour $192 I+B there is also a rebate of $60 on these

bargain tire like a signet roadian $128 each

guess I should mention that I am using the goodyear silent armour wranglers on my Z71 so far they have been awesome in any conditions i been in

Edited by ecmilley

In my opinion any snow tires will work good in the winter. Just remember to take them off in the summer so they don't get worn down faster. Also don't put them on until you see a snow storm in the forecast because of the same reason.

And what do you do between snowstorms :whistling:

The rover isn't too bad of a tire you will find it a little noisy, but I do LTdesignation on the rover max load will occour at 60 or 80 psi, first it becomes a safety concern as to what the rims rec max pressure will be (usually 35-40 psi) on a oem p-metric fitment the lt tires will ride much rougher and reduce fuel economy, if cost is a issue may I suggest a couple decent tires in the correct size and load for your vehicle.

...so you don't recommend an LT tire for my truck at all? I didn't realize the difference in recommended pressure from a P-tire to an LT-tire. Maybe I need to re-think this through.

Sounds like a good price on both the Michelins and the Good Years. Too bad your shop is all the way down in Scarberia, how would you like to drive my truck to work for a day? ;)

seeing that i live in dunsford that can be arranged if you like, already do that for my neigbours for a fellow OFC'er no probs

I just might have to take you up on that offer. I did some more research on the Goodyear Silent Armour and it looks like a really good tire. That price can't be beat either (one local dealer had the Goodyears priced higher than the Michelins).

I"ll send you a PM and we can make arrangements.

Thanks again.

I have had several of these trucks in the last 7 years. I just sold one of my 2500 HD trucks and I beleive I have an older set of Michellin tires out back in the Garden shed. I think they are around 50-60 % tred left. They are 16". You can come pick them up for free if you want. I dont need them and was going to throw them away. I will check tomorrow to see how well they still are. These dunlops are probally the best all around tire for these trucks. I run my own construction company and the others dont stand up in the mud and snow and all the rest of the crap. I have had several, General, Goodyear, Firestone(Just threw out an almost new set, Complete junk, Nail magnets.), Toyo tires are great for the Asphalt but not for offroad.

winter tires are always a good thing to have in addition to quality all around or summer sets.

I had a hell of a time driving the RWD CTS with no winter rubber on it...it was like tokyo drift, 100% of the time!

needless to say after the first snowfall and that adventure (from oshawa to toronto) with no snows, the snow rubber was promptly installed to save my life.