3 1/2 lb coaster brookie from Credit River

ehg

Speculated with folks about possibilty of coaster brookies from G. Bay tribs

after catching a brookie over 16 inches from Beaver River a few years ago which had silvery hue.

Also read historic reports of brookies caught in lower Don River in the early 1800's.

Someone sent me links to this the other day which seems like good news.

http://www.craa.on.ca/

http://www.zimbio.com/Trout+Fishing/articl...t+River+Ontario

Sky’s the limit hopefully we keep moving forward. Just goes to show that a little determination and work goes a long way. Good job John and Louis and all the other members of the craa and other organizations. Thanks for making a difference.

Sky’s the limit hopefully we keep moving forward. Just goes to show that a little determination and work goes a long way. Good job John and Louis and all the other members of the craa and other organizations. Thanks for making a difference.

CRAA must be doing some good work! Caught my fattest brookie from same system this year.

This was after nearly 20 yrs. of fishing creek brookies.

Brookie2.jpg

This fish was held nearly vertical (see small tail) due to sand cliff making for difficult picture taking.

Edited by ehg

Sorry just dont beleive its a coaster. Nice fish but once temps drop on the river downward migration can occur and I beleive that much more likely a fish that has dropped down from up stream than a fish that has come up from lake ontario. There are plenty of fish that size up in the forks area.

Sorry just dont beleive its a coaster. Nice fish but once temps drop on the river downward migration can occur and I beleive that much more likely a fish that has dropped down from up stream than a fish that has come up from lake ontario. There are plenty of fish that size up in the forks area.

I agree 100%, impressive specimen nonetheless.

My thoughts on this exactly. I caught one such "droppy" in Bronte (under the QEW) some years ago, nice fish it was. :D

Probably not a 'coaster' but an amazing fish at any rate...

although two years back I did see a VERY large brookie, bigger than the one pictured sitting very low in a river (im talking south of the CN tracks) and heading upstream.

Do I think that it was a coaster...well probably not I guess but isnt it nice to dream?

Cooksville Creek was one of my go-to spots for smallies when I lived in port credit...if you hit it right you can get huge numbers of smallmouth from the walking bridge right up until the water get's to shallow for them to move up-stream...I even managed a few fish pushing 3 to 4 pounds on spinnerbaits. When the bass weren't on I'd sometimes go up-stream and catch a few big suckers that live in the pool under the bridge year-round. One day I spotted a real nice lookin' Brookie in that pool and tossed every bait I had in my box at him to no avail....but, the point is, he was there! I walked the creek sometimes up-stream from lakeshore and though I never spotted any trout there's TONS of baitfish in the pools, and crayfish under the rocks. So though it might not be a thriving stream, it has some serious potential....not to mention, in the fall you'll get the odd group of salmon that run up to the bridge, and even the odd bow.....

Whenever I pass through the sauga you can bet I'll be fishing that stream!

cheers,

UF

Was thinking that large brookie possibly came down from the forks area, but the CRAA and MNR state otherwise :dunno:

Cooksville Creek was one of my go-to spots for smallies when I lived in port credit... One day I spotted a real nice lookin' Brookie in that pool and tossed every bait I had in my box at him to no avail....but, the point is,he was there

If that was a brookie in Cooksville Creek it didn't dropback from anywhere.

Regardless, this is a mighty fine brookie to be caught in the heart of a heavily populated area(Mississauga)

creditbrookie.jpg

Was thinking that large brookie possibly came down from the forks area, but the CRAA and MNR state otherwise :dunno:

If that was a brookie in Cooksville Creek it didn't dropback from anywhere.

Regardless, this is a mighty fine brookie to be caught in the heart of a heavily populated area(Mississauga)

creditbrookie.jpg

They have no way of knowing one way or the other just like I don't but the oodds are much greater that it came from upstream than it being a coaster.

Wild cookville creek is one that we are begining to work on as we speak, if you would like to get involved and steer it in the direction of yet another successful cold water restoration let me know

I have been on a long stretch of Cooksville Creek for years when it was full of life from lakeshore to dundas and enjoyed the vibrant population of several species of minnows, creek chubs, crayfish, insects and heavy spring sucker runs, and spring toad spawning throughout made this creek special. I know what killed the creek, the problems the creek still has and the problems it still faces from private property owners and city council so I would be interested to know more.