ice fishing splake

charlied

This is from a recent post about splake fishing up at Burks Falls.

These fish were all caught using light to medium action ice rods rigged with a single split shot, a size 4-6 octopus style hook and 4-6lb monofilament line. The bait of choice were pinhead shiners or a small fly rigged with the same.

I would also try lake trout lures-silver or gold spoons or tube jigs-scaled down a bit.

thanks guys...just hope I can find a bait dealer up there for pinhead minnows.....don't think I can bring my own or have some last the whole trip up there.... :lol:

got any pics of bucktail jigs by chance or a link...showing the size to get. I have pink crappy jigs...do you think these would work?

Edited by charlied

the crappie jigs will definately work, so will the spoons. it all depends on what the fish are bitting. and as for keeping the pin-heads alive while you head up there, as long as teh water is cold the minnows should last a couple days. If you can pick up an airator from Canadian tire or Bass pro keep the water circulating, they will last over a week.

check your PM

Hey Charlie....Although the splake are a cross they act exactly like lakers in habitat and eating habits. Use the same jigs and 3-4" twisters as you see the guys on the river use. As far as bait goes you better look into whether you are allowed to transport any minnows come that time..as of now you can't. Go snag some at the coal docks and salt em up...nothing better to tip a rig with than a saltie.

Pope